Ubuntu porting to customized board

Discuss Ubuntu related items.

Ubuntu porting to customized board

Postby srinivasporam » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:12 am

Hi,

We have got a new board which is based on wandboard dual but there are minor differences that we have used LPDDR2 instead of DDR3 and we have used only one sd card whose signals are going to SD1 signals of IMX6 processor. This board has just come after assembly.

Now we would like port Ubuntu to this board. We tried deploying Uboot-wandbaord-dual and ubuntu images to this board and after powering on nothing is coming in display which is connected to board through HDMI.

when we deploying same uboot file and ubuntu images to the SD card and putting into the reference wandboard dual board which we have, then board is booting up.

Now, i think we have to customize the uboot for our ustomized board and also we need to do the initialization of LPDDR2. But how can we do this??? is there any technical document for the same. what all the other files which we need to consider inoreder to get our board boot????

Please help us...
srinivasporam

Re: Ubuntu porting to customized board

Postby blue_z » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:55 am

srinivasporam wrote:We have got a new board which is based on wandboard dual but there are minor differences that we have used LPDDR2 instead of DDR3
Actually that's a significant difference that impacts system configuration, initialization and booting.

srinivasporam wrote:Now we would like port Ubuntu to this board.
Wow, you're getting way ahead of yourself. You should be focused on board bring-up. You should be using the console on the serial port instead of looking for output on the HDMI port.

srinivasporam wrote:Now, i think we have to customize the uboot for our ustomized board and also we need to do the initialization of LPDDR2..
You really should understand how a computer works before you start modifying a design.
U-Boot is loaded into RAM, and (dynamic) RAM has to be initialized before you can use it, so obviously modifying U-Boot to fix the LPDDR2 issue is too late.

srinivasporam wrote:is there any technical document for the same.
Of course! The fact that you are asking this is rather alarming.
Before you ever modified the Wandboard design, you should have been studying the SoC documentation; the Datasheet and Reference Manual are available from the Freescale site.
FYI Freescale manufactures the SoC that the Wandboard uses, i.e. the i.MX6.
The chapter on "System Boot" in the Reference Manual has some answers that you need.
But you really need to perform a proper board bring-up and validate the hardware, as described in http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/MX53UG.pdf (maybe there's one for the i.MX6, I never looked, but the concepts would be similar).

Regards
blue_z

Return to Software - Ubuntu