microsd card cage

Discussion of your EDM baseboard, your add-on boards or other peripherals for your wandboard.

microsd card cage

Postby magicwand » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Hiya,

Does anybody know the manufacturer and part number of the microsd card cage used in the Wandboard?

Thanks.
magicwand

Re: microsd card cage

Postby blue_z » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:01 am

The microSD card sockets used by the Wandboard have no (visible) identifying marks.
They look and function no different from these sockets I purchased from AliExpress.com.

Regards
blue_z

Postby Tapani » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:20 am

That's an odd question ... why do you ask?
(I can probably dig up a partnumber if it really matters ... it is a generic SD card slot)
Tapani
Site Admin

Postby magicwand » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:03 pm

blue_z wrote:The microSD card sockets used by the Wandboard have no (visible) identifying marks.
They look and function no different from these sockets I purchased from AliExpress.com.

Regards

Thanks. The cage whose URL you provided looks like what is needed. I am amazed that the cost is only 10 cents per unit as some cages that I saw in Mouser and Digikey cost several dollars each. I don't know why the price is so different.
magicwand

Postby magicwand » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Tapani wrote:That's an odd question ... why do you ask?
(I can probably dig up a partnumber if it really matters ... it is a generic SD card slot)

I am not sure if it is really a generic cage as the cages I found have contacts with a different placement.

The reason I asked the question is that I wanted a cage for the PICO-IMX6UL-EMMC kit from TechNexion and I assumed it would be the same as for the Wandboard. I have since found that I cannot really use a cage with the PICO-IMX6UL-EMMC kit as it is not connected.
magicwand

Postby blue_z » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:32 pm

magicwand wrote:The cage whose URL you provided looks like what is needed.
I tried by example, but you didn't get the hint.
This socket or connector is not a "cage" or "card cage". A card cage typically has a back-plane for circuit boards.
If you've been to the Mouser or Digikey sites, then you'd know that these parts are not found under the category header of "card cage".
magicwand wrote:I don't know why the price is so different.
It's called economies of scale.
BTW telling us what you don't know is not salient.

Regards
blue_z

Return to Hardware and peripherals