Boot from NAND flash

Discussion of your EDM baseboard, your add-on boards or other peripherals for your wandboard.

Boot from NAND flash

Postby Rajabalaji » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:01 am

Hi,

We are developing a custom board which has NAND flash(1GB) and Ethernet as the primary peripherals required for our application.
Now, my question is how can be load the boot files into NAND flash during the time of manufacturing.

I am seeing posts that tells to use USB connected to host or boot from SD card, and then copy the boot files to NAND flash. As USB and SD slot are not required for our application, we need to add these solely for the purpose of loading NAND flash during Manufacturing.

Is there any other means like JTAG or UART (cheaper peripherals) that can be used for this purpose?

Please share some knowledge on this.

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Raja
Rajabalaji

Re: Boot from NAND flash

Postby vpeter » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:26 am

You could program NAND flash before soldering it on a board.
vpeter

Postby Rajabalaji » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:29 am

That is also a good solution. Is it not possible to use JTAG? Do people not perfer it ?
Rajabalaji

Postby blue_z » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:04 am

Rajabalaji wrote:Is it not possible to use JTAG? Do people not perfer it ?
You could use a JTAG probe, but it's multi-step.
First you have to initialize the external DRAM (probably with a macro or loading a program into internal RAM). This may not be an issue if the i.MX6 ROM is setup properly to do this for you.
Then load a utility program such as U-Boot, which can load images over various interfaces and write them to flash.

Regards
blue_z

Postby Aliraza35 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:48 am

If you want to hard-code the resolution in u-boot, you can edit the source in include/configs/wandboard.h????
Aliraza35

Return to Hardware and peripherals