What is difference between Wandboard Quad rev B & rev C

Discussion of your EDM baseboard, your add-on boards or other peripherals for your wandboard.

What is difference between Wandboard Quad rev B & rev C

Postby HiteshViradiya » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Dear All,

I want to know the difference between wandboard quad rev B and rev C. Userguide is available for wandboard rev B and same is not available for rev C.

I am firmware engineer and not much aware of hardware stuffs so I am curious to know about DDR3 size both rev having. As I looked at schematic and it shows 4 DDR3 chip with "2G_DDR3_SDRAM_128MX16" convention which I understand as 256 MB sized each. Correct me if I am wrong.
If I am correct, 4 such 256MB chips will make total of 1GB of DDR but wandboard quad specs says that it has 2GB of DDR.

Can anyone resolve my confusion? Sorry for a silly question but as I am not hardware expert !!

--
Thanks,
Hitesh
HiteshViradiya

Re: What is difference between Wandboard Quad rev B & rev C

Postby jury093 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:06 am

HiteshViradiya wrote:I want to know the difference between wandboard quad rev B and rev C. Userguide is available for wandboard rev B and same is not available for rev C.

formally, the difference is shown here:
http://wandboard.org/70-20140519-wandboard-rev-c1

I am firmware engineer and not much aware of hardware stuffs so I am curious to know about DDR3 size both rev having. As I looked at schematic and it shows 4 DDR3 chip with "2G_DDR3_SDRAM_128MX16" convention which I understand as 256 MB sized each. Correct me if I am wrong.
If I am correct, 4 such 256MB chips will make total of 1GB of DDR but wandboard quad specs says that it has 2GB of DDR.

you right for 1GB, but you can see attached part of schematic (sabre light for example)..
Memory can be increased by simply replacing the chip pin-to-pin compatible (2GiB to 4GiB (look datasheet)) and vice versa to reduce..
Of course, if the PCB is properly routed..
Attachments
2g-4g-jpg.JPG
2g-4g-jpg.JPG (84.18 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
jury093

Return to Hardware and peripherals