I2C1 Resource Temporarily unavailable and unable to use I2C3

Discussion of your EDM baseboard, your add-on boards or other peripherals for your wandboard.

I2C1 Resource Temporarily unavailable and unable to use I2C3

Postby raulina » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello,

I am using WB quad rev b1. I have written a C code that controls some devices using I2C. First, there is an I2C multiplexer pcA9546A with an address in the range 0x70-0x77. It has 4 output buses, each one has 2 DAC AD5627R are in the addresses 0x0C and 0x0F. The last of the 4 I2C buses from the multiplexer has also a GPIO expander PCA9536 with address 0x41.

I tested the code in the I2C2 (/dev/i2c-1) without any problem, but when I try to use it in I2C1 (/dev/i2c-0) it gives me the error "Resource temporarily unavailable". I am currently using the kernel 4.9.35 and ubuntu, but I also tested it with kernel 3 with linaro (the name of the error changes, but I guess is the same one). I tested 2 different boards, with both kernels and OS, and the same error.

I first execute:
Code: Select all
ioctl(fd, I2C_SLAVE, addr)

which doesn't fail, and then:
write(fd, data, 3)

which is the line that presumably fails.

- When connected to I2C2, I can execute the program without problems, and the devices appear using i2cdetect before and after the execution.
- When connected to I2C1, if I power off and the turn on the device to be controlled, they appear in the i2cdetect. Once I execute my program, they don't appear any more in i2cdetect until I unplug and plug them again.

I have seen that I2C1 is responsible of the HDMI CEC through DDC, which seems to not have entirely worked, but I have no screen connected to the WB, so I don't know if it should affect.

I also tried to map I2C3 to /dev/i2c-2 by adding this piece of code to the device tree imx6q-wandboard-revb1.dts (but to be honest, I am not sure what I am doing... I just tried to learn and understand how device trees work):

&i2c3 {
   clock-frequency = <100000>;
   pinctrl-names = "default";
   pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_i2c3>;
   status = "okay";
};

&iomuxc {
   imx6q-wandboard-revb1 {
      pinctrl_i2c3: i2c3grp {
         fsl,pins = <
            MX6QDL_PAD_GPIO_5__I2C3_SCL      0x4001b8b1
            MX6QDL_PAD_GPIO_16__I2C3_SDA      0x4001b8b1
         >;
      };
   };
};

In this case, /dev/i2c-2 is available, but when I try to connect the error "Connection timed out" is shown. When I do this, I loose Ethernet connectivity because one of the pins is used for the ethernet clock. Despite this, I used an oscilloscope on the lines but I don't see the I2C signal.
Questions:

- Is the "Resource temporarily unavailable" error caused by DDC? If I remove the resistors R113 and R115, would I be able to use I2C1 without any problem? By the way, where are they? I tried to find them in the EDM but I can't find them.
- What is wrong in the code I used correct to enable I2C3? How can I enable I2C3 properly, even if I loose ethernet connectivity?

Thank you very much.

EDIT: I just read that X components are not mounted, so EEPROM is not the problem, and the DDC is alocated in the I2C1. May it be the source of the problem?
EDIT 2: I add my device tree file just in case someone wants to take a look:

/*
 * Copyright 2013 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
 * Author: Fabio Estevam <fabio.estevam@freescale.com>
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
 * published by the Free Software Foundation.
 */
/dts-v1/;
#include "imx6q.dtsi"
#include "imx6qdl-wandboard-revb1.dtsi"

/ {
   model = "Wandboard i.MX6 Quad Board rev B1";
   compatible = "wand,imx6q-wandboard", "fsl,imx6q";

memory {
      reg = <0x10000000 0x80000000>;
   };
};

&sata {
   status = "okay";
};

&ecspi1 {
    fsl,spi-num-chipselects = <1>;
   cs-gpios = <&gpio2 30 0>; /* EIM_EB2 */
   pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_ecspi1>;
   status = "okay";

spidev@0 {
        compatible = "rohm,dh2228fv";
        spi-max-frequency = <10000000>;
        reg = <0>;
        };
};

&i2c3 {
   clock-frequency = <100000>;
   pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_i2c3>;
   status = "okay";
};

&iomuxc {

imx6q-wandboard-revb1 {
      pinctrl_ecspi1: ecspi1grp-1 {
                  fsl,pins = <
            MX6QDL_PAD_EIM_D17__ECSPI1_MISO 0x100b1
            MX6QDL_PAD_EIM_D18__ECSPI1_MOSI 0x100b1
            MX6QDL_PAD_EIM_D16__ECSPI1_SCLK 0x100b1
            MX6QDL_PAD_EIM_EB2__GPIO2_IO30  0x000f0b0
            MX6QDL_PAD_KEY_COL2__GPIO4_IO10 0x000f0b0
                  >;
           };
      pinctrl_i2c3: i2c3grp {
         fsl,pins = <
            MX6QDL_PAD_GPIO_5__I2C3_SCL      0x4001b8b1
            MX6QDL_PAD_GPIO_16__I2C3_SDA      0x4001b8b1
         >;
      };

};
};
raulina

Re: I2C1 Resource Temporarily unavailable and unable to use

Postby raulina » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:11 pm

I finally decided to removed R113 and R115 and now it seems to work.

I used an oscilloscope to see the voltage levels of the I2C lines when I connected a resistor of 1kohm to ground. In I2C2 it was around 1V, which meant that the pull-up resistor was around 2k2 (the ones shown in the WB quad revB1 datasheet). Until here everything correct. In I2C1 it was around 2.3V, which meant that the "equivalent pull-up resistor" was around 430 ohm, much below the minimum (1 kohm, figure 2 in page 3). So I decided to remove R113 and R115 to disconnect the DDC and the pull-up resistors R111 and R117.
raulina

Postby MelissaCarroll » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:39 pm

One client is here for the identification of the goals for the humans. The perfect outlook of the best dissertation services is ensured for the humans. The posture is formed for the vital paths for the appropriate use of the offers for the clients of the field.
MelissaCarroll

Postby movieapkk » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:19 pm

The heap of Cinema APK is immense. Nearly, all the most recent and acclaimed Hollywood flicks near to TV Series are available in Cinema APK. Additionally, the substance is open in top quality with goals up to 720p and 1080p. cinemaapkguide The UI of the application is extraordinary and rich. It is amazingly simple to utilize Cinema APK application. Motion pictures and TV Shows are open as discrete areas. There is an intrigue bar open on the basic screen of the application through which you can examine for your supported substance direct.
movieapkk

Return to Hardware and peripherals