Is there adequate description of uEnv.txt for WB?

You have a problem with your Wandboard and want to ask the community for help.

Is there adequate description of uEnv.txt for WB?

Postby p0rc0_r0ss0 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:16 am

Hi,
I'm trying to get my WB DL up and running.
So far I ran into several things:
  1. Due to fact, that my WB came with fried RS232 port, I'm forced to use netconsole during boot. Earlier I used wandboard.h file to set all variables, because WB just won't listen to uEnv.txt
  2. Now I'm trying to get board running on modern ubuntu. So far I tried Ubuntu 14.04, 15.04 and this manual here. System never did one clear boot.

So I have a question, which emerges in many people according to information I found on various internet communities. Is there adequate manual to make WB boot obeying eEnv.txt file?
At the moment, best guess I came with is:
  1. Enable #define CONFIG_NETCONSOLE 1 in wandboard.h
  2. make uEnv.txt as follows:
    Code: Select all
    uname_r=4.0.4
    dtb=imx6dl-wandboard.dtb
    #my laptop with netcat console
    serverip=192.168.0.100
    ipaddr=192.168.0.1
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    nc=setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc;
    stdin=nc
    stdout=nc
    stderr=nc
    mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw
    mmcrootfstype=ext4 rowait
    mmcargs=setenv bootargs netconsole=6666@192.168.0.1/,@192.168.0.100/ root=${mmcroot} rootfstype={mmcrootfstype}
p0rc0_r0ss0

Re: Is there adequate description of uEnv.txt for WB?

Postby Tapani » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:55 pm

You say your board came broken and does not boot any of the images we provided?

Did you try the Ubuntu 14.04 or 15.04 we have in the downloads section? (And FYI your console worked when we packaged the board.)

There is (as far as I know) not one standard for uEnv.txts. Sorry, but cannot help you there.
Tapani

Postby vpeter » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:02 pm

If you are using u-boot from eewiki which supports uEnv.txt file then it is used. The content of this file is just the same as in u-boot console where you can type them. There is no "manual" for it.
vpeter

Postby p0rc0_r0ss0 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:30 pm

Tapani wrote:You say your board came broken and does not boot any of the images we provided?
Did you try the Ubuntu 14.04 or 15.04 we have in the downloads section? (And FYI your console worked when we packaged the board.)
There is (as far as I know) not one standard for uEnv.txts. Sorry, but cannot help you there.

I bought my board through distributor reseller, not directly from you.
I got my board up and running and even made a little manual-note how I did it here: [url]wiki.wandboard.org/User:MarkoPagott[/url].
By the way, I can not open wiki directly, only through proxy. Can you fix this?

Yes, there is no standard, but it would be good to define common rules, like:
mmcargs - section is mandatory, because Nelsen's patch adds "boot zImage-${uname_r} in the end.
or
To boot system you need set:
1. Console
2. root partition and fs type
3. location of kernel file.
As far as I recall, there was issue with uImage and zImage files. zImage was not accepted and you have to convert with some tool.
You DO make those Ubuntu images somehow, don't you? ;) You have to know how to configure this board.

Mostly I'd like to know how to setup netconsole in uEnv.txt, because in absence of UART console it's the only option for debug.

vpeter wrote:If you are using u-boot from eewiki which supports uEnv.txt file then it is used. The content of this file is just the same as in u-boot console where you can type them. There is no "manual" for it.

Well, I build u-boot from sources that I download from git. Only one patch is applied. I think it will be relevant to mention which parameters should be adjusted in kernel and u-boot configs to use netconsole.
You are saying, that uEnv.txt is "shell syntaxed" file? I mean:
# - comment. (this was pretty easy to guess)
code can(?) be located on several strings and considered inline if line endings are terminated with "\"
where does it saves config when I type "saveenv"?
what is sequence of commands? I guess I have to set variables first, then configure filesystem, then boot system?
p0rc0_r0ss0

Postby Tapani » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:40 am

By the way, I can not open wiki directly, only through proxy. Can you fix this?

!
This is not the way it should be! I'll look into it.

As far as I recall, there was issue with uImage and zImage files. zImage was not accepted and you have to convert with some tool.

For the 3.10 kernel and later, zImage should work just fine. And zImage nicer since uImage requires load adresses and whatnot.

where does it saves config when I type "saveenv"?

Into the unpartitioned first megabyte of the boot media.
Tapani

Postby addseo1115 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:32 am

That is good suggestions.
addseo1115

Return to Getting started