sound module failed

You have a problem with your Wandboard and want to ask the community for help.

sound module failed

Postby culler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Hello,

I am posting here at the request of Future Electronics as a prerequisite for getting support from Wandboard.

I purchased a Wandboard dual Rev C1 from Future. I have a Wandboard dual Rev A1 which I have been using for 9 months. I use the Wandboard A1 primarily to play music on a stereo in a bedroom. I bought the C1 to replace the Zotac Zbox which is currently doing the same job in my living room.

I installed the latest ubuntu image from Wandboard on an SD card (and added /usr/sbin/sshd which was missing from that image for some mysterious reason.) Since the wireless interface seemed flaky (e.g. would not restart on a soft reset) I built new bcmfmac modules from linux backports. That fixed the problems with the wireless. So then I compiled and installed my music software on the C1 and tested it. Everything worked fine when I used the line out jack. (I had hoped to be able to use my Fiio SP/DIF DAC, since the miswiring of the SP/DIF port had supposedly been corrected on Rev C1, but I was not able to get the DAC to sync to the Wandboard.)

At this point I moved the C1 to my living room and connected it to my stereo. I was able to listen to music for a few hours. Then, in the middle of an album, the sound stopped. I had not made any changes to software or hardware, I was just playing mp3's. Since that time I can not get any sound from the C1, except for a pop when the Wandboard boots and another pop when the ALSA driver is initialized. The alsamixer recognizes the sgtl5000 and appears normal. But there is no sound. Using aplay to play a .wav file also produces no sound. Everything else works normally. The computer boots and connects to my network. I can login by ssh. I have a unity desktop if I connect a monitor. But I have no sound.

I think my Rev C1 board came with a faulty sgtl5000 chip, which fried itself after a few hours of use, and needs to be replaced.

-Marc
culler

Re: sound module failed

Postby Tapani » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:59 am

Marc,

sounds indeed that it is possible that your chip has failed.

Have you tried:
1. Cold reboot. Pull the plug, leave it out for 30s, and try again. Repeat a few times. (My guess is that you already have done this.)
2. Try some other audio output. Plug in some headphones you know are working elsewhere, and try if you can hear anything
3. Double check alsa settings etc. Maybe the audio output is muted, or the volume is set very low? Also check that you really are using the sgtl (ALSA card setting)

Also unplug any other I2C devices (like HDMI monitor, or stuff on the the external pin header) you may have attached.

Sorry for the trouble,

//T
Tapani

Postby culler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi Tapani,

Thank you very much for your response.

I tried a cold boot of my Rev C1 Wandboard. (Yes, I had tried this several times before.)

I connected to the board by ssh through wired ethernet. No monitor or keyboard was attached.

When I type
aplay -l
it shows the sgtl5000 as my default sound card:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sgtl5000audio [sgtl5000-audio], device 0: HiFi sgtl5000-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: imxspdif [imx-spdif], device 0: IMX SPDIF mxc-spdif-0 []
card 2: imxhdmisoc [imx-hdmi-soc], device 0: IMX HDMI TX mxc-hdmi-soc-0 []

When I run alsamixer it shows that it is connecting to the sgtl5000.

Using alsamixer I set the volume to 100 on the channels Headphone, PCM, Mixer Channel and Main Channel. In fact, I matched all of the settings to what I am currently using on my Rev A1 board, which works. When I use aplay to play a .wav file, e.g.
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
I get no sound. The same command on my Rev A1 board produces a woman's voice saying "front left".

I tried connecting a PC audio system and a pair of headphones through the line in jack. Neither one produced any sound.

- Marc
culler

Re: sound module failed [FIXED mysteriously]

Postby culler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi Tapani,

I just tried something else:

aplay -D plughw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav

and I got the voice!

So, indeed, something is amiss in my Alsa setup. I have no idea how the ALSA configureation could become corrupted in the middle of playing an mp3, but apparently that is what happened. I also don't know exactly how it is misconfigured, but I can probably figure that out now that I know where to look.

Thanks for your help.

- Marc
culler

Postby culler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi Tapani,

In case this might help someone else (including you, when advising other users) this problem was fixed by removing my .pulse directory.

While I can't explain how ALSA spontaneously became misconfigured, the bad configuration was apparently stored in that directory. Removing it with rm -rf ~/.pulse restored normal behavior.

- Marc
culler

Postby Tapani » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:33 am

Glad you solved it by yourself!

What I learnt is that I should have asked you to check with our software images first.

A little depressing that the semi-sleazy business practice of some distributors (sending people with RMAs here) "works".
Tapani

Postby culler » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:10 pm

A better solution would be to include a basic hardware diagnostic test with your image. The days when configuration problems are solved by reinstalling the entire OS should be behind us by now. Obviously the days when configurations spontaneously and unexplainably become corrupt are still with us.

FYI, the distributor said that the "semi-sleazy method" was required by Wandboard, not by them.

- Marc
culler

Postby 88tec » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:40 pm

hi guys
something similar happened to me when I was trying to output audio to the analog LineOut. using the latest Lollipop image provided on wandboarg.org, I managed to record some .3gpp files using MicIN. all of a sudden I got no audio output anymore. until now I couldn't resolve the problem.
the solution you provided will work on pure linux systems, but the folder ".pulse" is not available since Android uses a different audio system (audioflinger).
any ideas on how to solve it on Android?
88tec

Return to Getting started