Kernel doesn't boot

You have a problem with your Wandboard and want to ask the community for help.

Kernel doesn't boot

Postby pavlukivan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:28 am

Hello! I have Wandboard Solo with debian image from downloads page. I want to change logo, so I'm compiling the kernel with custom logo. zImage loads fine, but after "Starting kernel" nothing is writing in serial console or on the screen. I've centos 6.5, I downloaded custom toolchain (After failing with centos's "arm-linux-gnu-") and it still doesn't work. I have old config, that was working fine. I'm compiling kernel with
Code: Select all
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi- oldconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi-

I tried many kernels, but that didn't work.
Sorry for my bad english!
pavlukivan

Re: Kernel doesn't boot

Postby blue_z » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:55 pm

pavlukivan wrote:zImage loads fine, but after "Starting kernel" nothing is writing in serial console or on the screen.
Posting the U-Boot environment and the full boot log would be helpful.
Boot failure is probably related to the Device Tree blob.
blue_z

Postby Tapani » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:55 am

Like blue_z said, can you show us your u-boot environment. Could be that your console is set wrong for instance.

And where did you get your kernel from?
Tapani
Site Admin

Postby Tapani » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:38 am

Ok, I see several things that are funny there:
1. Your devicetree defaults to "fdt_file=boot/imx6-failsafe.dtb". This is not a wandboard DT. What u-boot are you using?
2. Your kernel config is for 3.14.40 kernel, which is not a WB kernel ...
3. While booting, you might have to reset the stored u-boot settings in your mmc card. Use u-boot command "env default -f -a" (or similar, it keeps changing between u-boot versions) to reset the environment.

Try building your u-boot for wandboard (using "make distclean && make wandboard_defonfig && make -j4")
Then build the kernel with "make distclean && make wandboard_defconfig && make -j 4 zImage modules imx6dl-wandboard.dtb imx6q-wandboard.dtb"
Install the resulting SPL, u-boot.bin, zImage and dtb files into your SD card, and see if that works better.
Tapani
Site Admin

Postby pavlukivan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:07 am

There wasn't "wandboard_defconfig" rule in u-boot, so I choosed "wandboard_solo_config". It seems like it was dtb problem.
Now it doesn't hangs on "Starting kernel...", but stucks at
Code: Select all
Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p1...
random: nonblocking pool is initialized

I'm using u-boot that was in debian image. Same is for kernel config. Kernel version was mentioned multiple times, so I choosed that version, but it seems like there was few patches applied to work with custom dtb. It doesn't work with official WB kernel.
pavlukivan

Return to Getting started