Ubuntu Red Screen

You have a problem with your Wandboard and want to ask the community for help.

Ubuntu Red Screen

Postby pianoman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 from a micro SD card on my Wandboard.

As of a couple of hours ago it was running fine. A little while ago though, I switched it on and it's stopped working. Specifically, the Wandboard logo appears initially, but then I get an all-red screen after which the display goes blank and powers off. I've retried re-flashing the micro SD card with the OS Image but the behaviour persists.

Is this a known issue? A search for "Red Screen" hasn't helped.

Thanks.
pianoman

Re: Ubuntu Red Screen

Postby pianoman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:58 am

This seems to be a board issue. I've now tried the Yocto image and Ubuntu on a different micro SD card, and in both cases the display stays blank. The red screen of death or the splash screen don't even appear, it's just blank all the way.

I'd like to debug the board serially. Can I do it via serial output? If so, how do you hook up the DB9/RS232 connection to your PC? Is a female RS232 to USB call all I need? Assuming the OS is working, will I see an output on a terminal?
pianoman

Postby Tapani » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 am

Your problem sounds not fun at all!

To check the serial console: a serial cable / USB serial should be all you need.

If you have an OTG cable, you can check if the CPU is trying to boot by connecting the OTG <-> USB cable to your PC, and then power up your WB without any SD card inside.
If a "Freescale Semiconductor" USB device appears, your board is not completely dead. Do you have a green power LED lit up on the board?

Is your power adapter really 5V?
Tapani
Site Admin

Postby pianoman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:30 am

Tapani wrote:Your problem sounds not fun at all!

To check the serial console: a serial cable / USB serial should be all you need.

If you have an OTG cable, you can check if the CPU is trying to boot by connecting the OTG <-> USB cable to your PC, and then power up your WB without any SD card inside.
If a "Freescale Semiconductor" USB device appears, your board is not completely dead. Do you have a green power LED lit up on the board?

Is your power adapter really 5V?

My power comes from a calibrated bench supply and is set to a very high current limit (1.5A) which the power draw is not even close to hitting.

I've done as you suggest; when I power up the board (green LED on) my computer does see a new USB device but it recognises as a "USB Input device" and not a Freescale device.

I wonder if my board is dead now :(
pianoman

Postby pianoman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:01 pm

Update with something interesting.

I have a JTAG connector plugged in and I'd written a small bit of code to read registers/SFRs through my IDE. I tried that again and it works. My code runs, I can monitor changes in registers and see the temperature of the core (and see it change when I blow on the processor directly which is what you'd expect).

So this means my ARM core is okay, but something's off with the peripherals... I'm now wondering if the connection between the processor board and the "base" / "mother" board is the guilty party. If the chip itself is running but I'm not getting HDMI output and nothing on the serial connection apart from a generic "USB input device", maybe all the ports down below can't be seen by the processor above.

More when I've examined it closely...
pianoman

Postby pianoman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:07 am

Further update: It seems that the problem is in the HDMI-to-DVI converter that I'm using to connect the board to the screen! I have no idea why. I connected it to an HDMI monitor and it resumed working. I plugged it in to a DVI monitor later and it worked again for a while before going through the red screen phase and then stopping work all over again.

It doesn't make any sense to me and I'd appreciate any info.
pianoman

Return to Getting started