WB Quad: i.MX 6Dual/6Quad SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode

You have a problem with your Wandboard and want to ask the community for help.

WB Quad: i.MX 6Dual/6Quad SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode

Postby gduffield » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:54 am

Hi Guys, I need a little insight and assistance please.

I have a Wandboard Quad that worked fine last night and won't boot this morning... it simply refuses to boot and when connected to my monitor via hdmi it shows nothing on screen. Shutdown has always been by way of powering down the multiplug that powers a surge protector which in turn powers my hifi and Meanwell 5V 3A PSU that powers the Wandboard. Plugging the Wandboard into my PC by way of USB OTG and running lsusb shows:
Code: Select all
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 15a2:0054 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. i.MX 6Dual/6Quad SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode

What does this mean and how do I get the board out of Recovery mode?
gduffield

Re: WB Quad: i.MX 6Dual/6Quad SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode

Postby Tapani » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:18 am

This message is normal when there is no bootable SD card inside.

By default the iMX6 CPU tries to boot from the SD slot (on the module!), and if it fails, it will wait for programming using an OTG cable.

Try making a new SD card and see if there really is a boot problem on your board, or is it just a bad SD card. They can break sometimes...
Tapani
Site Admin

Postby gduffield » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:13 am

Thx Tapani

I'll try a new sd card and see whether that does the trick. I had tried a rebuild using the same as card and it made no difference, but perhaps it's failed.

One question - is it usual for the Wandboard to not even show the Wandboard logo on screen in the absence of a bootable sd card?
gduffield

Postby gduffield » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:33 am

Just built another SD card image using https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... stallation and same outcome. nmap doesn't find the Wandboard on the network.

Anything else I can try?
gduffield

Postby Tapani » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:51 am

The absence of the WB logo is expected. The logo is inside the SD card.

TBH I don't know what is wrong. Suspecting something broken in your WB, like the card detect on the SD card slot. But I have not seen a working board breaking like this.

What I would do, but this is a little technical:
- Attach a serial debug console cable, and see if there are any error message son the debug console.
- Try OTG boot - apparently your board is expecting that (hence the Recovery Mode).

The OTG boot is not very easy to try. I would try using imx_usb loader from https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx_usb_loader, and try to send the SPL or an u-boot.imx to the board. And see if there is any life on debug console.
But beware this is not a very easy debug trick.
Tapani
Site Admin

Postby gduffield » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks, I think I'll just send them to recycling and be done with it. I don't have time to waste on these things, I'll just avoid them going forward.
gduffield

Return to Getting started