OpenELEC

XBMC subforum

Re: OpenELEC

Postby XoD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:43 am

build full OpenELEC is very easy, they have there embedded makefile system. To build for imx6 I just do a :
ARCH=arm PROJECT=imx6 make release
And I wait, it can be (very) long the first time :).

The point to look at if you want tried to participate, start by look at the file projects/imx6/option, and the content of projects/imx6.

PS the officiel dev manual : http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Developers%27_Manual
XoD

Postby synportack24 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:59 pm

XoD wrote:I had some build problems, but build a 5.0.2 version with wandboard patch.

You can find tar http://www.xoddark.com/Public/openelec/OpenELEC-imx6.arm-5.0.2.tar.xz.

Is there someone interested by img version (for dual or quad wandboard) ? I haven't had time to make img for now, but if needed I can try to make it.

Are you not posting to your github?
synportack24

Postby stevereeno » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:11 pm

I have tested 5.02 on my Wandboard.
It boots fine and seem to work well.
But 24p is still not working. I wanted to check the xorg.conf whether there are all resolutions inside.
Where can i find these settings? I thing thats why the wandboard does not switch to 24p and i can change the resolution/refresh rate at all.
There seems to exist no X11 config?!

P.S.: Patching for the wandboard kernel is too high for me.
stevereeno

Postby synportack24 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:20 pm

has anyone had any luck with openELEC and CEC? Also @XoD, I would be interested in an .img. I've been having some problem build problems.

thank you thank you!
synportack24

Postby XoD » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:42 am

My TV don't support CEC :(

Ok for img, I have tried to modify script to add sub-project support but I have not had the time to finish for now.
XoD

Postby Lt.Cmdr.Ivan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:03 pm

Excellent, i tried the 5.02 image and compiled an .img file, installed and used it.

My system is a Wandboard Quad Revision BI.

My experiences are the same as other users reported it.

- 24p Status (unknown, i did not have time to use it)
- Wifi is working
- BT is not working (saying that BT hardware is missing)
- Bootup is very fast
- Network works

Even autoupdate seems to work A ok ( but it would install the generic 5.08 images that don't work with the wandboard).

How can we help the build process?
Lt.Cmdr.Ivan

Postby Tapani » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:06 am

We in the WB team are also curious about OpenELEC (if nothing else, for our Scavenger Hunt series).
However, we are not that familiar with the OpenELEC community, and don't really know where to start.

Can someone give us a pointer, or even an image?

I'm confident we would be able to resolve some of the reported issues (24 bit colour maybe? Or bluetooth...)
Tapani

Postby XoD » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:33 am

Hello,

I tried to work (when I have time) to have clean Wandboard support to merge in upstream OpenELEC.
I like to have SPL management in upstream u-boot before that, to have only one image for All Wandboard.

To build tar file from uptream OpenElec for imx6 systems :
ARCH=arm PROJECT=imx6 SYSTEM=Cuboxi make release
If you want to build image (to write on microsd) replace 'make release', by 'make image' :
ARCH=arm PROJECT=imx6 SYSTEM=Cuboxi make image

To build for Wandboard quad you can checkout my branch imx6_multi_device, and launch build with SYSTEM=wandboard_q.

Hot to install OpenElec : http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-T ... Disk_Image
To use with the wandboard you can tried the corresponding img from my last build here : http://www.xoddark.com/Public/openelec/build/ (not tested), or build an image by yourself :)

The OpenELEC construction work mush like buildroot/Yocto, during the build process the script :
- get the source of the package needed (the list of the packages are in packages subdirectory)
- path it if needed
- compile it.
After some files are created and archived in a tar in target folder :
- the kernel
- a squashfs file with the root filesystem.
- some additional files (for bootloader, licences, etc)
And if you use make image, an image ready to be wrote on a sd-card is created.

To explore the code look first this 4 folders :
- projects : contain the different projects options and specific files (x86_64, imx, RPI, etc)
- packages : contain the different packages construction rules and patch.
- scripts : contain the script to build OpenELEC.
- Distribution : contain some OpenELEC file. (Lakka is a distribution based on OpenELEC but for create an emulation station)

Tapani : This infos can help you ?
Have you other question ?

Documentation for developper can be found here :
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Compile_from_source
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Development_workflow

My work can be found here :
imx6_multi_devices
imx6_uboot_upstream
XoD

Postby Lt.Cmdr.Ivan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Excellent, i will try them immediately out.

Thanks a lot.
Lt.Cmdr.Ivan

Postby Lt.Cmdr.Ivan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Very good build.

After a short test i can say the following things to the 6.00 development Build:

- Autoupdate (via transferring the update tar into the update folder) works excellent
- Watching Movies works so far (Mpeg2 730p upscaled to 1080p tested) (Seems to be a little(tiny tiny) bit slower than the 5.02 build)
- Wifi shows at least all visible Wlans (connect and use not tested at the moment)
- BT still no function
- The Whole Interface seems to be a little bit less responsive than the 5.02 Build ( not lagging but something like a small (some nanoseconds) delay in execution of commands)
- Regarding the Temperature i would say it produces a little bit less heat (no exact values available)
- 24Hz as Option in the menu with 1080p Resolution available ( didn't test this due to no appropriate material for playback testing at the moment available)

Still needed to be tested
- Image installation on SDCard and bootup on appropriate systems (Lite/Dual/Quad Boards)
- More in depth testing of playback and smoothness (although the smoothness will come over time with general optimizations)

Hope this helps :)
Lt.Cmdr.Ivan

PreviousNext

Return to Software - XBMC