xbmc arch image wandboard quad

XBMC subforum

xbmc arch image wandboard quad

Postby kohonen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:57 am

hi all,

thanks to crux, i have now a working arch distro with xbmc.

you can download it here, it is a 8 GB image (2.5 GB compressed):
http://project-insanity.org/files/arch_xbmc.img.xz [md5sum 91bdf3ccc8f0e950e1fa2fabd05839cc]
EDIT: the original sd card size is 7969 MB, you might have problems with cloning onto smaller cards.

after booting, ssh server is up, root password is root.

there are still a few things you need to adjust (in order to disable cursor blinking, consoleblank):
Code: Select all
pacman -S uboot-wandboard-quad

edit /boot/uEnv.txt:
optargs=consoleblank=0 vt.global_cursor_default=0

create /var/lib/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml:
<advancedsettings>
  <gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>
Last edited by kohonen on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
kohonen

Re: xbmc arch image wandboard quad

Postby johnc32779 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm

kohonen, first I want to thank you for posting your xbmc image -- it is really appreciated.

It appears that I have some cursor issues. I first booted without installing your changes and there appeared what looked like a square black blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner which did not respond to mouse movement. Next I applied your changes, and could not see any evidence of a cursor, and hence can not make any selections either before or after the installing the changes.

EDIT: Another observation, the normal blue background skin does not fill the entire screen (i.e. on a 24" screen there is about 1" black space on the left side and a bit at the top). Now just after the splash screen disappears, there is a momentary normal cursor image in the upper left corner, but then it disappears when the blue background skin appears with the black space on the left. Hope this is clear, as I am having trouble finding words to describe it.

The system is a quad with a 24" Samsung HDML monitor.

Any idea on how I should proceed? I will be a very happy camper if we can get this working.

John
johnc32779

Postby kohonen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:08 am

you can calibrate the screen size somewhere in the xbmc settings.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/System

blinking cursor - i am not sure what your problem is, i think it is probably the initial phase before the xbmc itself start (text mode). as long as there is nothing blinking in the xbmc gui, it should be ok.

btw i am not using any mouse or keyboard, i have android phone with yatse app, connecting via wifi.
kohonen

Postby abreaks » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

How can I use a mouse and keyboard? I have them attached to my wandboard but they seem to be ignored in XBMC. The keyboard is verified to work in the console. You have to name NFS shares when setting them up and the XBMC remote app doesn't seem to pass typed text the way that it should. So I'm stuck until I can get some keyboard input. Also while I'm setting things up its much easier to just use a local keyboard and mouse. I switched on al the input devices in the settings tab but it doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks for this image. I've had a halting problem on the Yocto based XBMC builds that isn't effecting me now with Arch. Also arch seems to have good repos for IMX and the included software is good too.
abreaks

Postby Guillaume23 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my wandboard quad runing XBMC on top of Archlinux.
I'm choosing Archlinux instead of Stephan Rafin's Yocto image in order to be able to easily benefit from Archlinux repositories.

3 - To solve XBMC display problems, I created /boot/uEnv.txt with these instructions :
    video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=32

I'm very happy with Archlinux. I just discover this distribution and I love its light weight philosophy.
The version of the kernel embedded in the Archlinux image is 3.10.17-5.

XBMC works, decodes 1080p with high bitrate without any problem ... but only for around 5 to 10 minutes !
XBMC always crashes after 5 to 10 minutes, whatever the use I make of it (local video playing, video podcast streaming or just going through setup options)
I think that the driver works but that there may be some memory problems.

Here are the XBMC warnings that are sent back through ssh :
XBMC - Warnings.png
XBMC - Warnings.png (65.35 KiB) Viewed 5384 times

I also tried XBMC-standalone :
XBMC-standalone - Warnings.png
XBMC-standalone - Warnings.png (164.44 KiB) Viewed 5383 times

And a htop screenshot, just after crash :
htop - XBMC Crashed.png
htop - XBMC Crashed.png (195.66 KiB) Viewed 5394 times

Would you have any idea that could save my situation ?

I'm wondering if this is not due to the problem dealt by Wandboard Team : "January 17 2014 - Video playback using the Wandboard VPU, part 1" - http://www.wandboard.org/index.php?start=10
But I'm definitely not able to understand all the meaning of this.

I've tried the Project Insanity image. I see it booting but I cannot neither use ssh nor use my keyboard with it.

Thank you very much for any advice you would give me.

Guillaume
Guillaume23

Postby selex » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:47 am

Hi Guillaume23,

I was having the same problem and FINALLY I found the solution. You need to add the option "consoleblank=0" to your uEnv.txt

video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=32 consoleblank=0
selex

Postby Guillaume23 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much selex for the notice.
I will start the wandboard up this WE and try it.

Have a nice day
Guillaume23

Postby Mutantx » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:02 am

Would be extremely interested in this sort of setup. Would be great to know if you've had any issues with running Archlinux and XBMC concurrently

-Mutantx
Mutantx

Return to Software - XBMC