XBMC on the Wandboard

XBMC subforum

Re: XBMC on the Wandboard

Postby CruX » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:07 am

Hey,

I am going to try that right now. Just backing up my sdcard first (only have one :/).

I'll report my findings!

Thanks and best regards

Edit: They seem kinda equal, yours might have an edge on ui performance...
If I enable debugging in the options, I can see that your image has around twice the fps in the ui that mine has (50 vs 100). I was able to fix that by using your advancedsettings.xml.

The UI is quite fluent compared to other ARM devices but I still think that it doesnt use the full capacity of the device (I could be wrong though!).
Last edited by CruX on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CruX

Postby wolfgar » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi CruX,

OK so things are clear now (Regarding you desktop, it is not really relevant...)
I don't know if you are familiar with ARM builds for XBMC because compared to the other builds I know (Rpi, pandaboard), I don't think the UI is laggy.

Also consider we render at 1080p !
Maybe you can try to change video settings to 720p and check for the result.
If it is interesting I could easily make changes to render the GUI at 720p and upscale to 1080p. Obviously, it could improve significantly the result (AFAIK, no other ARM build directly renders at 1080p)
As I don't get the impression that it is so laggy, I have not put some effort in it for now...

Note : I will publish a video because I don't want that this post makes people believe that the GUI behaves poorly.
So, if you come in this post and are afraid by cruX report, please have a look at this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsI4Tl3AWEo#t=0 : It is a demo based on a old build and using a dual iMX6. So the current result is even better and I will film and post a video on my iMX6 quad (wandboard and utilite)

Regards
Stephan
wolfgar

Postby CruX » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Hey,

I'm sorry, I didn't want so scare anyone off. Going to edit my post now.

Maybe I have insane high expectations, after all its still a very small arm device...

Do you have any ideas regarding the following two points
  • Automatically adjusting the framerate to match the videos, currently only possible to do that via /sys/class/graphics/fb0/mode
  • The console does autoblank the screen after 10min for me. I can disable this behavior completely but I'd like to have it disabled only on playback and while I use xbmc. Would it be possible to disable/enable it dynamically?
CruX

Postby wolfgar » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi,

I perfectly believe that your intend was not to afraid people.
But you know how it works : People try to grab info about good it works and they could quickly conclude the GUI is terrible by reading this post.
As I said, it is the best experience for a ARM device I am aware of (I tried A10 based devices, Rpi and pandaboard...).
That's why I wanted to balance and to provide a video so that they can make their own mind about it...

But basically you are right to have high expectations : there is likely some space for improvement (Upscaling from 720p being an easy and maybe very efficient way to reach the fluidity you are looking for...)

Regarding your questions :

1. You should be able to change framebuffer mode with your own code : Have a look at the FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO fb ioctl

2. I use the kernel parameter consoleblank=0 in my image but you are right : It is a permanent switch
If you want to switch you should have a look at console_codes
If think :
echo -e '\033[9;0]' > /dev/tty1
will disable blanking
and
echo -e '\033[9;5]' > /dev/tty1
will set the timeout to 5 minutes...

Kind regards
Stephan
wolfgar

Postby James1954 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Wolfgar,

How to you burn this new image, I took the sdcard off the end and changed to img and installed with win32diskmanager, is that correct or did I screw something up.

Thanks
Jim
James1954

Postby wolfgar » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Jim

you have to decompress it (it is compressed with xz) then you can safely burn it with win32diskimager...
To benefit from your whole sdcard space; you will have to resize the 2nd partition with gparted (for instance)
As I said it is still a beta preview : The official one with more explanations will be published soon

Best regards
Stephan
wolfgar

Postby aurelihein » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi wolfgar,

Congratulation for your work to get in GeeXboX team !

Could you write a tutorial about compiling your work ??

Thank you
aurelihein

Postby wolfgar » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:00 am

Hi aurelihein,

Please have a look at this post for build instructions of my latest yocto image
For geeXboX, have a look at openbricks manual

Best regards
Stephan
wolfgar

Postby aurelihein » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:36 am

Thank you stephan !
I am going to launch the compilation tonight !!
aurelihein

Postby CruX » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 pm

wolfgar wrote:1. You should be able to change framebuffer mode with your own code : Have a look at the FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO fb ioctl

I tried it via the interface in /sys/class/graphics/fb0/mode and it kinda works, but only on the first try.
I hooked a script via an xbmc addon in onPlaybackStarted that pauses the video, changes the refreshrate to the one in the video, waits a few seconds and then unpauses the video. As I said it does only work on the first try after starting xbmc, afterwards the screen stays off and I get a lot of "mxc_sdc_fb mxc_sdc_fb.0: timeout when waiting for flip irq" on the serial.

wolfgar wrote:2. I use the kernel parameter consoleblank=0 in my image but you are right : It is a permanent switch[...]

I'm going with consoleblank=0 for now, Im just going to do the blanking with an xbmc addon (blank on idle, unblank on resume..)

Cheers!
CruX

PreviousNext

Return to Software - XBMC