XBMC on the Wandboard

XBMC subforum

XBMC on the Wandboard

Postby CruX » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:54 pm

XBMC on the Wandboard does work quite nice in the meantime. For now, you can either try Stephans Yocto image from his blog or you can just use the xbmc-imx package on ArchlinuxARM.

Again, this would not be possible at all if the work of Stephan Rafin did not exist. So thanks again Stephan!

Using the packages, you'll need to add another udev rule to get it to work as a non-root user. Create a file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-input.rule with this content
Code: Select all
KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", GROUP="tty", MODE="0660"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="tty[0-9]*", GROUP="tty", MODE="0660"
and add the user to the groups video and tty and reboot.

If anyone has anything to ask or add to this, feel free to post or pm. You can also reach me via #wandboard on freenode most of the time.

Cheers!

Disregard beyond this point. I'm just keeping that for historical reasons.

Hey there,

I've received my wandboard quad a few days ago and have been trying to get xbmc up and running since then.
I relying heavily on the work of Stephan Rafin (I can't thank you enough Stephan!), but im trying to get it running on ArchLinux-ARM instead of the Yocto layers.

I've had some success (which I've discussed with Stephan on his blog) but I'm far from having it running like I want to. We both wanted to have another form of communication and it seems to reach a much broader audience here, so we'll continue to talk about it here :)

I'll write a much more detailed version (and some ArchLinux-ARM PKGBUILDS) of what I've done when I'm satisfied with xbmc, but for now I'm just going to give a small overview about what I did:
  • Running the 3.0.35-4.0.0 Kernel from John Weber (This kernel includes the fixes by Stephan)
  • Compiled imx-lib-3.0.35-4.0.0 and libfslvpuwrap-1.0.35
  • Installed the proprietary gpu driver gpu-viv-bin-mx6q-3.0.35-4.0.0
  • Installed the proprietary vpu firmware firmware-imx-3.0.35-4.0.0
  • Compiled Stephans imx-next branch of xbmc
You can get the freescale stuff from the various mirrors, for example this one.

I was tempted to try the 3.0.35-4.1.0 versions, but the mirror seems to be down.

The current state of my xbmc is as follows:
It does run but can only be started as root, the normal user segfaults in the early startup process, strace here. (User is in the video group and can write to /dev/fbX).
The ui animations are much slower than I expected, its not very fluent overall and animations (like the popup of the settings menu) take a kinda long time. There also is like a black area where the actual transition should be that doesn't really fit in.
Video decoding (I tested only 1080p h264 for now) worked (as of commit 655cbead420b3e8baa01962301233d22646ed04f) but is kinda slow (it stutters from time to time). The picture also is very dark (stephan pointed out that this is a bpp issue, I could not fix it for now though).
The most recent development in the imx-wip (and now the imx-next) branch breaks the video decoding (log here), the transition from the menu from the menu to the actual movie doesn't seem to happen, its kinda stuck in between. Audio of the movie seems to play fine though.

Again, thank you very much Stephan!

If anyone has anything to ask or add to this, feel free to post or pm. You can also reach me via #wandboard on freenode most of the time.

Cheers!
Last edited by CruX on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
CruX

Re: XBMC on the Wandboard

Postby jurafxp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 pm

I would really like to know more details. I am also trying to get XBMC working on my WB quad, but till now I have been struggling to get my DVI monitor working, more or less successfull in the end. The XBMC image from Stephan was not working for me (no video, SSH allways stucked in login), so I'll be willing to test your work :)
jurafxp

Postby wolfgar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi crux

I have heavily tested my latest commits.
I even merged them in imx-stable yesterday : and it works very fine. So first of all, I would like to note that your issues are very likely related to your environment : build,improper configuration and maybe mix of bad libraries versions...
I will post very soon a new image (I am working on it currently) with all my recent work so that it will be easier for you to figure out the delta and get a good experience in your archlinux environment...

Best regards
Stéphan

@jurafxp : when you say no video, do you mean that you get nothing on your screen (then, it is very likely an issue with your video kernel parameters) or that you get XBMC GUI and tat the video were not played ?
wolfgar

Postby jurafxp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:16 pm

@wolfgar:
I have no video at all. Which kernel parameters do you have in mind?
On ubuntu image from http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/Wandboard, I can get video by issuing command "fbset -xres 1680 -yres 1050". But on the image from http://stephan-rafin.net/blog/2013/09/08/armhf-xmbc-image-part-2/, I cannot even try it as the ssh connection allways stucks at login.
jurafxp

Postby CruX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:32 am

wolfgar wrote:I have heavily tested my latest commits.
I even merged them in imx-stable yesterday : and it works very fine. So first of all, I would like to note that your issues are very likely related to your environment : build,improper configuration and maybe mix of bad libraries versions...

Okay then... I'm going to recompile everything from scratch once more. Just to be clear on this: you cannot see a mistake in the kernel/libraries mix I've posted in the initial commit?
I'm going to use your defconfig this time, we'll see if it makes a difference (used the one from archlinux last time).

Cheers

Edit:
Recompile done. Used your defconfig and ./configure line. Everything built clean.
Video decoding does work again, but its back to being dark :/ The UI is still slow... Maybe comparing it to your image could help me... Im not entirely sure.

The video demos from the gpu-viv-bin package work fine, tutorial1 runs at 200fps, so I think the acceleration works.

At this point, I really don't know what I could've done wrong.

Edit: Its me again :)
I recompiled everything using the 3.5.7-1.0.0 library-versions (which actually IS what we call the 4.1.0 release, that took me hours to figure out. This is seriously insane) and jws 4.1.0 kernel.
It works much better now, no black borders and stuff like that, also the video playback works fine (not dark anymore) and there are only very little frames dropped.
Still, the UI does not seem to be as fluent as I thought it would be. I'll try Stephans new image and compare it to my performance as soon as it's released.

Also the tutorials in /opt seem to make much more sense rendering-wise, its really difficult to determine if they work correctly if you have no reference :/
I'll report my progress :)
CruX

Postby wolfgar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi cruX

Sorry I should have told you about 4.1.0. In fact BSP 4.1.0 is perfectly clear : It is the official freescale delivery here : https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-95560
Unfortunately, for graphics libraries, yocto packages them with their current kernel version instead of a version relevant to the GPU driver only.
At the end, a newcomer is unable to know easily (at least, afaik) that the 3.0.35 kernel from BSP 4.1.0 is definitively compatible with libraries 3.5.7-1.0.0. I understand your frustration...

I am glad to read that with this last combination the whole thing improved significantly.
Please note that you should not have dropped frames at all except when the gui appears and disappears or at the very begining...

For the "laggy" XBMC GUI, have you tried to force performance governor to check whether it improves this behaviour ?

I have an updated image which runs on my wandboard : I will submit it to you for beta tests tonight or tomorrow.
That way you will be able to tell whether you consider this reference image is also a little slow on wandboard or not...

Best regards
Stephan
wolfgar

Postby wolfgar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:25 pm

@jurafxp

Hi,
I think about the parameters "video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24" that u-boot passes to the kernel
This example is for hdmi @ 1080p of course...

Don't you have a shell on the serial line (to understand why ssh is stuck) ?
Can you edit the kernel parameters from uboot ?

Regards
Stephan
wolfgar

Postby aurelihein » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:09 am

Hi wolfgar,
Do you have a tutorial or something where you have your meta to compile with yocto ?!
Thank you
aurelihein

Postby CruX » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:10 am

Hey Stéphan,

wolfgar wrote:Sorry I should have told you about 4.1.0. In fact BSP 4.1.0 [...]

Thats not your fault. Although there should be better documentation about that but again, thats not your department :)

wolfgar wrote:I am glad to read that with this last combination the whole thing improved significantly.
Please note that you should not have dropped frames at all except when the gui appears and disappears or at the very begining...

I'll try it once more, but I think what you described is actually the behavior I have at the moment.

wolfgar wrote:For the "laggy" XBMC GUI, have you tried to force performance governor to check whether it improves this behaviour ?

I was running "performance" but switched to "ondemand", no changes as far as I can tell.

wolfgar wrote:I have an updated image which runs on my wandboard : I will submit it to you for beta tests tonight or tomorrow.
That way you will be able to tell whether you consider this reference image is also a little slow on wandboard or not...

Thank you very much, I'll try it asap. That would be the best to actually see the difference between our versions.

Thanks again Stéphan for your work, I'm pretty happy to have XBMC in a working state at all :)
A simple question for the end: Are you using the fsl-alsa-plugin? Do you know what it actually does? Any improvement expected from using it?

Cheers!
CruX

Postby wolfgar » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:24 am

Hi crux,

Here is a beta image of my next release for wandboard : image

It is sdcard image which is as small as possible given RFS size : I recommend to resize it (with gparted by instance) after you have burn it on your sdcard...

I will answer other questions and give details during the WE
Regards
Stephan
wolfgar

Next

Return to Software - XBMC