Wandboard Quad display resolution

Discuss Ubuntu related items.

Wandboard Quad display resolution

Postby rkbren » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm sure this isn't really a new topic and I'm also sure I'm not the only one having this problem. However, after considerable searching I've yet to find a definitive solution. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.2 (ubuntu-12.04.2-gpu4.1.0-20131122-img) and cannot change the display resolution. In one case, when the Wandboard is connected to an HDMI monitor via a HDMI-to-DVI cable, I understand there's an "inherent" problem with the Wandboard recognizing the monitor's display capabilities. I get only 640x480 resolution in this case. Maybe there's a fix for this, but I haven't found one. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to connect the Wandboard to the monitor with a straight HDMI cable.
The other case is the resolution I get when the Wandboard is connected to my HDTV with a straight HDMI cable. In this situation I do get 1280x720(16:9) resolution but the top and left side of the screen is truncated, i.e., I only see part of the Ubuntu left side menu and very little of the top bar. I've tried the gtf/xrandr procedure in both cases with no success.
I would very much appreciate anyone's advice on how to correct either or both of these issues. If it means building my one Ubuntu image I'm prepared to do that, although as a noob, it will be a bit of a challenge. However, I'll look at it as a "learning opportunity". After all, I bought a Wandboard didn't I? Thanks.
rkbren

Re: Wandboard Quad display resolution

Postby Tapani » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:29 am

The image being "truncated" sounds like your HDTV has overscan enabled.
That can usually be turned off in your TV, in most TVs you that is an option.
Tapani

Postby rkbren » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks for the advice on the TV, Tapani. Any thoughts on the DVI monitor problem?
rkbren

Postby GTRONICK » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi!, i had a similar problem, the solution was to add some Modelines to my xorg.conf file. Look here: http://wiki.wandboard.org/index.php/Use ... ott#Ubuntu

Pay attention on the xorg.conf file he has.

Regards.
GTRONICK

Return to Software - Ubuntu