How to dump microSD content to backup card correctly...

Discuss Ubuntu related items.

How to dump microSD content to backup card correctly...

Postby queen-shit » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:07 pm

... I need to know if anybody knows a solution how to dump all microSD content to another microSD card. I tried to do it by putting backup card to second microSD slot and then rsync all the content of my root file system to this card. Sounds simple, but it will not boot :(. Does anybody have an idea how to clone it in a bootable way?

For installing my ubuntu, I used this instruction: http://www.armhf.com/boards/wandboard/wand-sd-install/. I prepared my backup card the same way only omitting to extract a tar image. Instead, I rsynced all my root file system to the empty free partition. UBoot is installed on the second card, too, of course ;) .

Can anybody tell me how to proceed in a successful way? My aim is to simply change the card without having to reconfigure all the system. dd image is no solution for my case, as souce and target medium have different size...

Here is my rsync command:
Code: Select all
rsync -avhE --exclude="/proc/*" --exclude="/lost+found/*" --exclude="/sys/*" --exclude="/mnt/*" --exclude="/media/*" --exclude="/dev/*" --exclude="/tmp/*" --exclude="/run/*" / /media/mp
queen-shit

Re: How to dump microSD content to backup card correctly...

Postby Tapani » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:15 am

dd
Tapani

Postby queen-shit » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:14 am

Sorry, dd is not a solution for my case as I wrote above, because source and target medium do not have the same size and they shoud not, because I want to move my system to a microSD with less storage.
queen-shit

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:05 am

Hello, queen-shit:

There is a guide:
http://com.odroid.com/sigong/prev_forum ... buntu.html

BR,

Richard
Richard
Site Admin

Return to Software - Ubuntu