USB Audio

Discuss Ubuntu related items.

USB Audio

Postby sonomageek » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:03 pm

I am running latest distro of Ubuntu on my quad. I can't figure out how to get any USB audio input to work. I am unable to record any audio from either a webcam or a mike plugged into a USB sound card. These devices show up via "lsusb" but no USB audio device shows up in "arecord -l" or "aplay -l". Anyone have ideas on this?
sonomageek

Re: USB Audio

Postby randys » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:41 pm

This appears to be the same problem we've been facing (see previous post). The module that recognizes USB connections, including serial ports, MIDI, etc. is not loaded in the kernel. I'd love to know if someone has figured out even a partial solution to this.
randys

Postby Tapani » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:22 am

Missing driver. The kernel we made for Ubuntu is kinda short on that.
The good part is that the kernel source code is downloadable (in the source code package), and you can add whichever driver you want... (and learn some linux in the process).
Tapani

Postby mounika » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:46 am

Since digital sound playback has become available and single and provided better performance than synthesis, modern soundcards with hardware polyphony do not actually use DACs with as many channels as voices; instead, they perform voice mixing and effects processing in hardware, eventually performing digital filtering and conversions to and from the frequency domain for applying certain effects, inside a dedicated DSP. The final playback stage is performed by an external (in reference to the DSP chip(s)) DAC with significantly fewer channels than voices (e.g., 8 channels for 7.1 audio, which can be divided among 32, 64 or even 128 voices).
mounika

Return to Software - Ubuntu