Connecting serial port via USB

Discuss Ubuntu related items.

Connecting serial port via USB

Postby randys » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:13 pm

We've been trying unsuccessfully to find a way to get the wandboard with the ubuntu image to recognize a serial port attached through USB. This is just with a standard USB-serial cable using the FTDI chip (as well as one other). As far as we can tell the module that allows this to work is not installed, but it's been an "adventure" to try to identify the right module and get it installed. We've even tried going back and attempting to rebuild the image while including the USB functionality, but have found lots of roadblocks on this path. The problem seems to stem from using such an old kernel. The USB functionality seemed to have intersected the kernel builds several versions later than the one used for the wandboard.

Our question is whether anyone has found a way to get this to work? We're actually needing to attach a MIDI-USB cable, which is the same problem.

The alternative is to go to Yocto or something else (whose downloaded images identify the cable just fine), but that seems to be pretty involved for the experiment/demo we're attempting to run. Anyone have experience in moving over and getting this right?

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.
randys

Re: Connecting serial port via USB

Postby Tapani » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 am

Have you tried downloading the kernel (see downloads section), enabling your USB serial chip driver, and recompiling the kernel?

FYI someone else asked for FTDI USB serial for ubuntu, so there is a pre-compiled kernel at http://www.wandboard.org/images/downloa ... e-FTDI-NFS you ,might want to try.
Tapani

Postby randys » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Tapani, thanks so much for the information. I'm happy to try both of these solutions, but could sure use some guidance in doing so.

First, to enable the serial chip driver, I'm assuming that means I should set CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=y in the configuration. Is there anything else that you think would be required? I have not yet compiled and installed a new kernel and would appreciate any additional pointers for setting up the right tools, etc.

Second, your pointer to the FTDI kernel is great and I've got it. But, how exactly do I install it? Sorry for my ignorance, but I've not fiddled with kernel updates before, but am certainly interested in learning more.

Randy
randys

Postby Teshawar » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:10 pm

The alternative is to go to Yocto or something else (whose downloaded images identify the cable just fine), but that seems to be pretty involved for the experiment/demo we're attempting to run. Anyone have experience in moving over and getting this right?
Teshawar

Postby GTRONICK » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Look at here, i have a FTDI Brekout from Sparkfun, and now wokrs like a charm!: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=473
GTRONICK

Postby newmail » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:12 am

yes we can connect serial port via USB we need micro usb cable and putty session to get all the, logs wich will be stored and you can operate.
newmail

Return to Software - Ubuntu