Ubuntu 13.xx Server Image - Wand Quad

Discuss Ubuntu related items.

Ubuntu 13.xx Server Image - Wand Quad

Postby Wandboarder » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Does anyone know of any Ubuntu 13.xx images for quad wandboard?

I know there is no GPU support but thats fine for now. I saw one by Martin Wild here https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/wandboard/GFq_KjtMTmc
Has anyone tried this?
Wandboarder

Re: Ubuntu 13.xx Server Image - Wand Quad

Postby taitran » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Wandboarder wrote:Does anyone know of any Ubuntu 13.xx images for quad wandboard?

I'm running Wandboard in headless mode for torrents, media and web services using Ubuntu 13.04 minimal image in this guide http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/Wandboard. It has been running flawlessly for months, I never turned it off.
taitran

Postby Wandboarder » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks good to know that its working well. I ended up just taking the one from Martin and changing the rootfs. Working well.
Wandboarder

Postby tuxfan81 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:29 pm

I have the image "Linaro quantal alip 13.05 Server Wbquad 3.0.35 Wand 4.2 4GB" but i can not connected with SSH (Putty) :(
Whats wrong?

THX
tuxfan81

Postby canadian » Sat May 03, 2014 3:13 pm

My biggest problem with my quad is:

1. No HDMI monitor or TV
2. No connection to internet via ethernet
3. No PC with sd card or microsd slot

The only way I can connect is via a wifi network. I download images to my raspberry pi's sd card, plug them into a riotboard, and burn the image onto a microsd card.

I've tried so far the official image (which has ssh disabled) and Arch's release (which the wifi doesn't work even after firmware adjustments as listed on their blog). Even then it needs things like wpa_supplicant to be downloaded via pacman.

I'd like to have an image which I can burn onto the SD card and which has wifi and wpa_supplicant already installed. Has anyone been wise enough to create an image that works out of box like Rasbian?
canadian

Postby canadian » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi, just wanted to ask, have these issues been fixed in the new release of the ubuntu image?
canadian

Postby PLyttle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:46 pm

does your pc have an USB slot? if so you can buy a microSD interface for pennies.

If your chosen distro does not support some of your requirements do the following:
download the required packages (for instance wpa_supplicant) for your system and copy these on a USB-stick
also put necessary config files on the stick.
when booted into the wandboard, mount the USB stick and install from there.
(I assume you have a serial interface?)

LP
PLyttle

Postby canadian » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:04 pm

I don't have either a serial interface or a cable. For all intents and purposes, I treat these devices (Wandboard/RPi) as headless computers with ethernet/wifi as the only interfaces. If I had serial available, I wouldn't have bothered, and I don't want to invest in serial because these issues can be fixed simply by providing a proper release that automatically: 1) enables ethernet, 2) enables ssh, 3) provides all required packages to get wifi up and running.

Whats the point of people creating distros after distros that only work with their own setup and not for others? If Raspberry Pi can do it then why can't all these other devices?
canadian

Postby PLyttle » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:29 pm

You do have the facility to download a boot image and write this on an SDcard
Then you also have the facility to download all the packages you need for your environment and write them in the filesystem of your SDcard, or on a USB memory stick.
When you boot this new system you have all the necessary requirements for creating your environment available, using the packages as an off-line mini repository. (when you use a USB stick you need to make it only once. It can be re-used every time you make a fresh install. The packages may be old, but once on-line you can upgrade.
It would be unrealistic to expect a package maintainer to envision every user's requirements.

Gaining access to the new system will generally work with ethernet (dhcp) and ssh. I am using Archlinux and this always works out of the box. If you keep having trouble you might try that distro. In particular when you don't want an X11 environment it is ideal, because none of that is pre-installed.

Off course you can get by without an elementary development tool like a serial interface. If you rather suffer the hassle than fork some 5 bucks for this item, feel free. But don't blame the package maintainers. That will be your choice, I use the serial interface a lot, because it gives a very good insight in what is happening during the boot process. And this interface Always Works.

You can be disappointed in the work of everyone out there providing you with the free software, but know that you are not entitled to anything. Your complaints are very easy to overcome and you can do all of it yourself.

LP
PLyttle

Postby dieting » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:32 pm

I download images to my raspberry pi's sd card, plug them into a riotboard, and burn the image onto a microsd card. I've tried so far the official image (which has ssh disabled) and Arch's release (which the wifi doesn't work even after firmware adjustments as listed on their blog). Even then it needs things like wpa_supplicant to be downloaded via pacman.??
dieting

Next

Return to Software - Ubuntu