Announcement: New Ubuntu sample SD image

Discuss Ubuntu related items.

Re: Announcement: New Ubuntu sample SD image

Postby Tapani » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:52 am

LeoKesler wrote:I am not using the image, yet, but I would like to ask, if possible, to stop the usage of a swap partition in sdcard. Dual and quad have RAM enough to run without swap. And the single core version can use ZRAM.

If you really wand swap, use ZRAM.

Is there a drawback of having a swap as well?

If I remember correctly, we have two swaps: one high-priority swap using zram, and a low prio one using mmc.
Tapani

Postby LeoKesler » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Tapani, there are two problems: 1. Slow access and 2. wear of sdcard .

But at least, for me, I think with dual and quad (1GB and 2GB) a swap partition is not necessary. For this systems, only using zram is more faster than using sdcard to swap.

It's just my opinion. Maybe others users can give some feedback.

By the way, with my wandboard "NAS", I am using Sabnzbdplus (with 512MB memory cache) + sickbeard + transmission (with 512MB memory cache)+ webmin + pyload + amule + twonky + samba4 without zram or swap. No problem, no reboots, no errors in dmesg, no slowdown.

In the future, I want to use etna_viv fully accelerated graphics with XFCE (or any other shell) with all that apps running and some more. To be honest, my dream is (or was) to use wandboard in a fully desktop replacement (for emergency ) .
LeoKesler

Postby Adrixan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:24 pm

This thread seems to have gone dormant ...

So, any progress on a new version of the image?
Adrixan

Postby kegsys » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 am

.. bump ..
Is there a link to the source for Ubuntu (12.04 or newer) and build instructions?
Hoping to get some minor changes into an image that would require me to rebuild.

Regards,
Keith
kegsys

Postby canadian » Sat May 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Do you mind improving this image so that wifi is enabled by default and wpa_supplicant is also installed for the Quad?
canadian

Postby jwswand » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:43 am

Hi,
I will post to this thread, to make sure it gets added here, or can someone point to the latest kernel 3.0.101+ thread.

Where is the source for the kernel. 3.0.17 is on the main download, and isn't useful. Apparently the wandboard-ubuntu-12.04.3-20150312.img image is built with a much later kernel.

The wiki has nothing I could find about the "test builds" by the site admin as far as where those are documented.

As other posters have mentioned there is a lot missing from the modules which needs to be added.

At a minimum kernel nfs support and cifs support. Without that the release is nearly useless for media as far as playing over the network.

thanks
Jim
jwswand

Previous

Return to Software - Ubuntu