Installing Vivante Drivers and configuring Xorg

Discuss Ubuntu related items.

Installing Vivante Drivers and configuring Xorg

Postby srinivasporam » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:02 am

Hi,

I have compiled linux (3.10.53) source downloaded from Wandboard.org git hub. I have deployed Kernel image (from arch/arm/boot/) rootfs (ubuntu-core-14.04.2-core-armhf), dtbs. Now the board is booting to Ubuntu 14.04.

1. Now if we would like to get desktop on the same (Gnome) is it necessary that Vivante drivers are required or can i use fbdev (installed using sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-fbdev) . will Gnome desktop comes with this or not????

2. after i get Desktop, I would like work on image processing . If I would like to install vivante drivers and setup xorg. then how to do that. is there any website or technical explains installing vivante on wandboard and settingup xorg.

Any immediate help regarding this is appreciated
srinivasporam

Re: Installing Vivante Drivers and configuring Xorg

Postby p0rc0_r0ss0 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:06 am

Isn't it a bit easier to get armhf ubuntu image and customize it with kernel setup you need?
All my experiments with getting vivante drivers working took plenty of time and had no satisfactory results so far.
p0rc0_r0ss0

Postby Wig » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:32 am

it's not easy to porting vivante library on userland, if you're insterest for this topic, I suggest you can refer the vivante libraries source code from yocto (3.10.53 kernel) first, locate these binary file and firmware to the correct path, hope help with you, remember, it's not easy, maybe it will spend too much time to solve this requirement.

thank you
Wig

Postby p0rc0_r0ss0 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:04 pm

At this rate it's easier to get working raspi and to make successful project, rather than waste time on efforts to do vendor's job.
I believe it's very common practice for vendors to make hardware and provide working drivers for that hardware.
What I am saying is that if I DO port drivers it would be great waste of time, cause I'll be the only one who benefit from ported drivers.
BUT if vendor ports driver, it can be shared to everyone.

I personally like potential of WB, but it has so poor support, that 3 year passed since I got this board (two generations of rasPis changed by the way) and we still got this ridiculous problem with basic things like: no normal video drivers (who needs powerful video adapter if you can't use that power?), no normal uEnv.txt handling, when to boot headless system you have to search for patches, compile patches, debug patches, compile kernel.

I don't ask for gentoo portages to be present, tested and working, but you COULD at least make all features work on such popular linux as ubuntu?
p0rc0_r0ss0

Postby Wig » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:45 am

Hello p0rc0_r0ss0:

I still don't understand what's your requirement? First, for the runtime image, the ubuntu image is supported all features in download page of wandboard official website, and it's works using vivante gpu, if you just want to run a graphic desktop without gpu support, you can change to "fbdev" to run in /etc/Xorg/xorg.conf, and we also support normal uEnv.txt handling, so I wonder which image do you use? Of course you have to modify if you want to use the rootfs from other source.

Thank you
Wig

Postby p0rc0_r0ss0 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:38 pm

HW: wandboard DL

I really lack those things:
1. Ability to play FullHD video, I guess it's not impossible for Vivante GPU.
2. Ability to control wifi via drivers (I want to be able to host wifi AP using inbuilt wifi).
3. Ability to have full standard linux driver pack. I mean, why I can download ubuntu to my PC, plug in TV tuner and it gets detected, and why when I plug this TV tuner into my wandboard I have to recompile whole kernel, have hard time with boot loader and other unhappy things. I just don't have that much time to spare.
4. Ability to switch my console output to LAN using uEnv.txt and not recompiling whole bootloader for it, like I did it here.
5. Ability to boot board in headless mode.
6. Ability to set HDMI video mode via uEnv.txt without patching and recompiling kernel and likes.
7. I would really like to have ONE place to look for all source links: kernel, uboot, wandboard patches and likes. Right now there is bunch of scattered and mostly outdated information that does not cooperate with each other. I mean: even if I DO decide to compile kernel and use it, I have to try multiple sources and configurations just to find one that works.
Kernel source along with brief description would be nice, because as I see there are at least two options: mainstream kernel and one modified by Robert Nelson which is (is it?) better is some ways.

That's simple matters. I'm not saying about power supply control and more complex things.
p0rc0_r0ss0

Postby Wig » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:45 am

1. Ability to play FullHD video, I guess it's not impossible for Vivante GPU.
Ans: it's implement from ubuntu 14.04 LTS image, because it's no long-term support for ubuntu 15.04, so default setting without GPU and VPU support.

2. Ability to control wifi via drivers (I want to be able to host wifi AP using inbuilt wifi).
Ans: it's already support on our new kernel 3.14.52, you can change the kernel image manual or waiting for our new release.

3. Ability to have full standard linux driver pack. I mean, why I can download ubuntu to my PC, plug in TV tuner and it gets detected, and why when I plug this TV tuner into my wandboard I have to recompile whole kernel, have hard time with boot loader and other unhappy things. I just don't have that much time to spare.
Ans: What's your tuner chip? if you don't like recompile your kernel, you can compile to a kernel module and insert it, more detail you can refer http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr , some tuner's driver is written from me, and I test these tuner on embedded board many years ago, so I think it's not a big problem.

4. Ability to switch my console output to LAN using uEnv.txt and not recompiling whole bootloader for it, like I did it here.
6. Ability to set HDMI video mode via uEnv.txt without patching and recompiling kernel and likes.
Ans: uEnv.txt is no need to recompile the source including change the HDMI video mode, console output, you can check the load uEnv.txt is success or failed on u-boot.

7. I would really like to have ONE place to look for all source links: kernel, uboot, wandboard patches and likes. Right now there is bunch of scattered and mostly outdated information that does not cooperate
with each other. I mean: even if I DO decide to compile kernel and use it, I have to try multiple sources and configurations just to find one that works.
Ans: all source on the github.....

Anyway, thank you for your response, of course we have many things need to improve.
Wig

Postby p0rc0_r0ss0 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:19 am

Wig wrote:1. Ability to play FullHD video, I guess it's not impossible for Vivante GPU.
Ans: it's implement from ubuntu 14.04 LTS image, because it's no long-term support for ubuntu 15.04, so default setting without GPU and VPU support.
You mean, that I should use 14.04 image to have G/VPU support right?

Ans: it's already support on our new kernel 3.14.52, you can change the kernel image manual or waiting for our new release.
That's good.

Ans: What's your tuner chip? if you don't like recompile your kernel, you can compile to a kernel module and insert it, more detail you can refer http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr , some tuner's driver is written from me, and I test these tuner on embedded board many years ago, so I think it's not a big problem.
Tuner is Avermedia Volar HD, but it's only one example.

Ans: uEnv.txt is no need to recompile the source including change the HDMI video mode, console output, you can check the load uEnv.txt is success or failed on u-boot.

I DO NOT ( :((((( ) have ability to check my console output, because I guess my board came with defunct RS232 port. If there is a way to redirect console to USB OTG it would be good. I was using netconsole (see link in above post), but it was very inconvinient, cause system refused to boot if terminal (the machine that received console messages) was not found.
7. I would really like to have ONE place to look for all source links: kernel, uboot, wandboard patches and likes. Right now there is bunch of scattered and mostly outdated information that does not cooperate
with each other. I mean: even if I DO decide to compile kernel and use it, I have to try multiple sources and configurations just to find one that works.
Ans: all source on the github.....
Yeah, that's the core problem, there are million of sources and forks on github. It would be real nice to have
https://githubcom/bla-bla-bla/
checkout bla-bla
git pull

something like this in instructions.

Anyway, thank you for your response, of course we have many things need to improve.

You are welcome. IMO Documentation is essential for any project.
By the way, could you give me working (really working) example of string to set up display mode in uEnv.txt?
Can I boot board without display at all?
p0rc0_r0ss0

Postby Wig » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:40 am

1. Yes, please change to ubuntu 14.04 to test.
3. Avermedia Volar HD use the Maxlinear tuner and Afatech demodulator, it's special, maybe modify kernel config is better.

about the uEnv.txt, you can refer this company's example as follow: http://ppt.cc/CITMq , it's useful for the wandboard images.
modify to hdmi version if you want:
displayinfo=video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1280x720M@60,if=RGB24, fbmem=28M

Thank you
Wig

Postby p0rc0_r0ss0 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:04 pm

I decided to build kernel ground up.
Can I use this link to get source? https://www.github.com/wandboard-org/linux
Do I need to apply any special patch to it?

There is such line in docs:
(Don't forget to select branch)

which branch should I use?

On top of that: Can you advise where should get compiler (i.e. toolchain)?
Should I get it from here? http://www.wandboard.org/images/downloa ... 519.tar.xz - nope, that's just buch of stuff that is outdated, I wonder if I can use firmware from this archive for newer kernel version.
On linaro website I found this page: https://releases.linaro.org/components/ ... 2015.11-2/ with latest stable toolchain build. I guess I need: arm-linux-gnueabihf folder.
In short I decided to download this file: https://releases.linaro.org/components/ ... ihf.tar.xz
My system is 32 bit (it's vm with 1G RAM, so 64bit was pointless), let's see if toolchain runs normally on 32bit linux.

Could you also post sample of kernel config that is running on 14.04?

I hope we will have something that will look like manual in the end :)
p0rc0_r0ss0

Next

Return to Software - Ubuntu