New Ubuntu user, can I use Ubuntu Desktop as a server?

Discuss Ubuntu related items.

New Ubuntu user, can I use Ubuntu Desktop as a server?

Postby JoeClark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 am

Hello,

I recently got a desktop from a relative, and since I have never used any distro of Linux before (excluding Raspbian) I figured I would install Ubuntu Desktop on it just to see what it was like. Today I decided I want to turn it into a home server, which I have never done before. I plan on running a TS3 server on it, as well as maybe a web server and an SQL server if I can figure out how. From what I understand, it is better to use Ubuntu Server because it comes with PHP and Apache and all of that, but I am rather intimidated by the command line style. I feel like having a GUI would be less scary, since I know nothing about any of this.

Is it simple to just install LAMP on Ubuntu Desktop or should I just grow a pair and learn how to use Ubuntu Server? Also, are there any significant uses for a home server that I can't do on Ubuntu as opposed to Windows Server? I understand that the common opinion on the Internet (and especially here) is that Ubuntu server is inherently better than Windows Server.

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
https://forums.zimbra.org/viewtopic.php?t=61175

product launch
JoeClark

Return to Software - Ubuntu