Newbie questions

This is the place for software discussions not having a dedicated subforum

Newbie questions

Postby taitran » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:58 am

I've just got my hands on WandBoard Dual today. Terms like Linaro, Yocto and the like are so odd to me. I understand that to put my WB into functional, I need a kernel and a root file system (RFS) but I don't understand if there should be any constraints in picking up the 2:

1. What's difference btw Linux mainline source and the WandBoard source tree? Is that all about the hardware driver support?

2. Can I use a kernel compiled from Linux mainline combined with any RFS from different distributions like Ubuntu, ArchLinux, CentOS for my WB? Here things are hazy for me, how can a kernel version x.y.z can run software precompiled in specific environments (fetched from package managers like yum or apt-get)?

Thanks for any help, even little.
taitran

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Tapani » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:14 pm

1. The 3.0.35 stems from Freescale, and most iMX6 specific drivers are tested to work. (Note that most functions on the Wandboard are provided by the iMX6 CPU).
Not all drivers have made it to Mainline kernel (yet).
2. Depending on what kernel the rootfs excepts: most rootfs will at least boot with most kernels, but core functionality might be missing. For instance GPU/VPU acceleration is very picky that the rootfs and kernel match.
User space software will work regardless of kernel version (at least should, it is a core kernel design philosophy to have it that way).
Tapani

Postby taitran » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Tapani, you are my hero, and I love my Wandboard. :lol:

Tapani wrote:1. The 3.0.35 stems from Freescale, and most iMX6 specific drivers are tested to work. (Note that most functions on the Wandboard are provided by the iMX6 CPU).
Not all drivers have made it to Mainline kernel (yet).
2. Depending on what kernel the rootfs excepts: most rootfs will at least boot with most kernels, but core functionality might be missing. For instance GPU/VPU acceleration is very picky that the rootfs and kernel match.
User space software will work regardless of kernel version (at least should, it is a core kernel design philosophy to have it that way).
taitran

Postby vamshirangu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:51 am

Hi guys, I'm investigating Outsystem platform, I learned a lot from documentation and forums but still there are few unanswered questions
vamshirangu

Return to Software - General