Using WandCam and WandBoard on Android

Discuss Android on the Wandboard, as well as app development for or on the Wandboard.

Using WandCam and WandBoard on Android

Postby PDD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Hi all,

Wanted to know if anyone has attempted to use the WandCam with the Wandboard in an Android environment? I am new when it comes to using the Wandboard and would like some direction has to how to get the camera working with the Wandboard. Thanks for any assistance.
PDD

Re: Using WandCam and WandBoard on Android

Postby colinsteel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:16 pm

I asked the same question under "hardware and peripherals". There's Linux support for the camera module, but I don't think there's a working implementation of Camera HAL. I'm wondering:

1. Is there an ETA for Android support for WandCam?
2. What version of Android is targeted (eg. 4.3)?
3. Is there an ongoing effort to configure Android support for both WandCam + a touchscreen in the same Android build?
4. Is it possible to participate in the effort to configure Android support for WandCam? For example, would it be possible to keep up with nightly builds of the Android source code in order to start to follow project progress and possibly eventually make contributions?
colinsteel

Postby arc » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:15 pm

I've been able to get the Wandcam working with android by modifying the 4.3 android kernel and source tree. It works fine but has some limitations (no native facial recognition etc).
I've been ultra swamped lately but when I get the time I'll do a write up on it and submit pull requests (well, idk how to push back to wand android repos, they're not on github (why??)).

P.S. @colinsteel you can stay up to date with the most recent android build for wand but you need to set up a build environment, sync the repos, and build it from scratch. AFAIK there is no nightly build that you can just grab an image of.
arc

Postby colinsteel » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:04 pm

@arc - did you get it working in tandem with a touchscreen? If there's a way I can subscribe to notification of your progress, I'd be interested.

Also, thanks for the info on the how to keep up with Android updates. I'd previously set up a build environment using and Ubuntu VM and will continue down this path.
colinsteel

Postby arc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:48 pm

I have not attempted to make it work with a touchscreen because the product I was working on did not require one, but I see no reason why these things wouldn't work in tandem.
arc

Postby arc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:11 pm

I've generated some patch files (attached) to get basic Wandcam support working. There are only two repositories that need to be patched, located at kernel_imx and device/fsl from the top of the tree. To get this working I basically just copied the non-android linux kernel code for initializing the camera module, and made some minor configuration changes. The stock android camera app is able to take pictures and video on the board I'm testing with (WB Quad Rev. B1) after building with these modifications. If you don't know how to apply the patches, just look up the `git apply` command usage. I hope this helps you out @colinsteel.

Btw, this does create a different kernel defconfig (wandboard_android_wandcam_defconfig) because I didn't want to modify the main one, that way it wouldn't have any effect on a stock build and it can be merged into the main tree eventually (hopefully). The main reason I mention this is because you'll have to re-apply any custom changes already present if you've edited the existing defconfig previously.
Attachments
device_fsl_jb4.3_1.1.0-ga__wandboard_wandcam.patch
device/fsl patch for wandcam support
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
kernel_imx_jb4.3_1.1.0-ga__wandboard_wandcam.patch
kernel_imx patch for wandcam support
(96.49 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
arc

Postby Tapani » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 am

Thank you! Nice!

We have confirmed that camera works and image quality seems nice. :-)

Question: it appears that after applying these patches we lose USB UVC camera support, is there an easy way to enable them both?

(We would like to apply these patches to the source package/git, but are scared of breaking things)
Tapani

Postby arc » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Im not sure, because I've never used USB UVC cameras. Is there one specifically that you're testing against?

Its also totally possible that I just accidentally disabled something in the kernel config that disabled the support.
arc

Postby colinsteel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks @arc - much appreciated. We'll apply this patch.
colinsteel

Postby koconnor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:00 am

Anyone know where the patches that were attached to this thread http://forums.wandboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=416&sid=c7fa6c103b0d0741fb7329f74cf91fd6#p2215 went?
When I try to download them, the forum takes me to an error page saying "The selected attachment does not exist anymore."
I'm very interested to get the Wandcam working on the Wandboard solo in Android.
koconnor

Next

Return to Software - Android