Wandboard Android Marshmallow uboot SPL boot up failure fix.

Discuss Android on the Wandboard, as well as app development for or on the Wandboard.

Wandboard Android Marshmallow uboot SPL boot up failure fix.

Postby mindentropy » Mon May 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi,

I downloaded the wandboard android Marshmallow code and built it. After I flashed the SPL loaders to the microSD card the board refused to boot up. I tried compiling manually by doing a ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.8/bin/arm-eabi- and built it. I flashed the SPL and the board booted up. After debugging for sometime I found that BOOTLOADER_CROSS_TOOLCHAIN := `pwd`/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.9/bin/arm-linux-androideabi- instead of arm-eabi-4.8/bin/arm-eabi- at line 974 in build/core/Makefile.

Can some developer please verify if this is a proper fix? I verified it in android5 source and it looks fine.

Thanks,
mindendtropy.
mindentropy

Re: Wandboard Android Marshmallow uboot SPL boot up failure

Postby Wig » Thu May 19, 2016 2:14 am

The official compiler is adapted to the arm-linux-androideabi-4.9 on Android 6.0, so you need notice all image (SPL, uboot.img, boot.img, system.img, recovery.img) using same compiler you build.
Thank you!
Wig

Postby lyf4sci » Fri May 20, 2016 9:12 am

Hi Mindentropy,

I have the same issue. How to compile it with the default toolchain version 4.9 ?

Is it correct to use the previous toolchain version 4.8 ?

Regards,
Lyf
lyf4sci

Postby Wig » Mon May 23, 2016 2:20 am

For my example using arm-linux-androideabi-4.9:

export ARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE="${PWD}/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.9/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-"

Then make the u-boot and kernel again, it's a interesting topic, maybe build/core/Makefile need to force modify manually if you use arm-eabi-4.8.
Thank you
Wig

Postby mindentropy » Thu May 26, 2016 3:45 am

@lyf4sci, well the build fails if you use the arm-linux-androideabi- . In the previous lollipop the kernel is not built using this. It should be fine using the previous arm-eabi-4.8. I could boot up successfully.

@Wig Does it matter if uboot is built using the arm-eabi-4.8? It don't think so. For everything else I am using the arm-linux-androideabi- thereby ensuring eabi compatibility.
Also the default configuration in makefile i.e. usage of arm-linux-androideabi- does not compile and fails.
mindentropy

Postby Wig » Thu May 26, 2016 7:15 am

Thank you guys, everybody has confuse which default cross-compiler is correct on marshmallow, and somebody discuss before, today I tested and I have conclusion as below:

1. In u-boot, only arm-eabi-4.8 or arm-eabi-4.6 can booting success now, not support arm-linux-androideabi-4.9, so we need modify build/core/Makefile line 974:
BOOTLOADER_CROSS_TOOLCHAIN := `pwd`/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.8/bin/arm-eabi-
the main reason is we use SPL for this release, and arm-linux-androideabi-4.9 only support android type like u-boot.imx.

2. the kernel and rootfs use arm-linux-androideabi-4.9 is better! so we need 2 cross compiler for this release, and Makefile no need modify for kernel part, thank you!
Wig

Postby Deepika Teriar » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:46 am

Hi can you please suggest,from where to download wandboard supported BSP for marshmallow uboot,

Thanks in advance
Deepika Teriar

Return to Software - Android