Netflix on Android ?

Discuss Android on the Wandboard, as well as app development for or on the Wandboard.

Netflix on Android ?

Postby ssinfod » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:49 am

Hello, is it possible to run Netflix on Android with the Wandboard Dual or Quad?

Thanks
ssinfod
ssinfod

Re: Netflix on Android ?

Postby mdc » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:35 am

It actually is possible.
You need to find the APK somewhere in the net though and install it over ADB.
mdc

Postby Jim255 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:27 pm

My Wandboard Dual is now an android based entertainment system for our 2 year old grandson. Coupled with a 20 inch 720P television via HDMI, a wireless keyboard and mouse.
The little guy can play most of the tablet games. Some require a touch screen, but most will run with a mouse.
Install Google apps. (gapps) Netflix is there,
- Jim
Jim255

Postby ssinfod » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Hello, I have a few more questions:

Q1) Are you running the Android OS from the SD card ?
If not, are you running it from a USB drive or SATA ?

For me, It seems the Android image is not very fast from the SD card.
I have to wait each time I open a Webpage or navigate through the Android system menu. (Waiting time is around 5-10 seconds using WiFi). I often have the message "Browser isn't responding. Do you want to close it?".

Q2) Where did you get Google Apps (gapps) ?

Thanks for your time.
ssinfod
ssinfod

Postby Tapani » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:44 am

Android can feel quite sluggish when run from a slow (say, class 4) SD card. Try to get a class 10 or higher?
Tapani
Site Admin

Postby Jim255 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:31 pm

From the text file android-4.2.2-wand-dual-20130627.txt in the android distribution image archive for Wandboard Dual
Gapps:
Please google gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip for GAPPS support.
-Jim
Jim255

Postby ssinfod » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:11 am

Hello again,

I downloaded the file "gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip" from here (goo.im/agpps/).

What do I have to do with the ZIP file ? Can I extract it on the SD card that I already burned with win32diskimager. Where ? (there are 4 partitions on the android image)

Otherwise, do I have to Rebuild the SD card from source and adding the content of "gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip" before the build ?

Thanks for your input.
ssinfod
ssinfod

Postby Jim255 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 pm

How I accomplished it was.
I unzipped the gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip to a folder.
Inside that folder I found the system directory,
Then copied the contents of that system directory to the system partition on the SD card.
When I booted the android system on the Wandboard, it immediately went into applications update mode and installed all the applications.

Not sure if it was the correct procedure, but it worked for me.

- Jim
Jim255

Postby ssinfod » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:26 pm

OK, so I finally got it working.

Here is what I have done:
Inside a linux machine, I unzipped "gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip", then I copied the uncompressed content to the "/media/system/" folder.

Commands:
cd ~/
mkdir gapps-jb
cd gapps-jb
unzip gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip
sudo cp ~/gapps-jb/system/* /media/system/ -rf
sync

Then, I put the micro SD card back in the Wandboard. My wandboard has a WiFi connection.
After the reboot, the wandboard did some updates and then I had google "Play Store" in the Apps section.

I created a new google account in the Settings, Accounts section.

Then, I started the "Play Store" app and browse for the Netflix app (entertainment free app). Then I installed it with the Install button in the Google Play Store. After a few minutes (2-3 minutes), the Netflix apps was downloaded and it installed itself in the "Apps section".

I'm now able to see video from the Netflix apps. However it is still running a bit slow... I see frames lagging...
I have a wandboard dual only running from SD card. (Lexar Class 10, 16GB)

Maybe the Wandboard quad has better performance... It would be great to try running Android from a SSD drive.

Thanks everybody for your support,
ssinfod
ssinfod

Postby kegsys » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:18 am

Getting Netflix on the latest Android 4.3 pre-built image on a Wandboard Quad
Using the newer Android Image (Feb 12, 2014) and a newer Gapps (specifically gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip downloaded from goo.im)
I followed the advice above and managed to install the Google Apps. They will not properly update yet, still looking into that.
Also, I had trouble getting the Google Play store to work, that issue also is still unresolved. (EDIT: update, after reattempting the process again, the Google Play store now works as well. Not sure what I did differently).

However, I did manage to install the Amazon Android App Store, and install Netflix off of that store instead. It runs, and plays video but I have yet to hook it up to the TV to confirm Audio works.

This is in no way intended to be an endorsement of the Amazon App Store. All I downloaded and installed off that was Netflix.

Hopefully this will help some of you looking to get Netflix running on your Wandboard in the latest Android image.

Cheers,
Keith
kegsys

Next

Return to Software - Android