Ethernet on Android

Discuss Android on the Wandboard, as well as app development for or on the Wandboard.

Ethernet on Android

Postby zachdios » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:39 am

I am curious if anyone is using the ethernet adapter with android. It does not appear to be active on the prebuilt android image. I am attempting to communicate with GigE cameras.
zachdios

Re: Ethernet on Android

Postby kegsys » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:06 am

..Bump..

I too would like to get the Wired LAN port working in Android. Anyone have some advice on how to do that?

Regards,
Keith
kegsys

Postby dbrockma » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:01 am

I am curious also.... I really want to use the wired ethernet under Android 4.4.2.

Does it work on the older versions of Android?
dbrockma

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:34 am

Hello, dbrockma:

Ethernet both works on Android 4.3 and 4.4 .
Plug in the ethernet cable before booting, it will get IP automatically (DHCP).

The only defect for ethernet is that the ethernet UI setting(UI for setting static IP, DNS) isn't integrated into android framework.
The ethernet UI setting is implemented as separate Ethernet APK (already installed in android pre-built image).
You still can set static IP, but this configuration can't be kept after rebooting.

BR,

Richard
Richard
Site Admin

Postby ssuhail » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi Richard,

Thank you for answering the query below, I was wondering whether it is still the same behavior with the newer version of Android that is ported to Wandboard. I was able write the marshamallow image on the SD card and launch android in wandboard, however, the ethernet is not recongnised. What can I do to hack this and also can we permanently set a dns/IP in the newer version. Thank you for your time.

Thank you & Regards,
Suhail

Richard wrote:Hello, dbrockma:

Ethernet both works on Android 4.3 and 4.4 .
Plug in the ethernet cable before booting, it will get IP automatically (DHCP).

The only defect for ethernet is that the ethernet UI setting(UI for setting static IP, DNS) isn't integrated into android framework.
The ethernet UI setting is implemented as separate Ethernet APK (already installed in android pre-built image).
You still can set static IP, but this configuration can't be kept after rebooting.

BR,

Richard
ssuhail

Postby ravansranu009 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:30 am

OTG stands for On-The-Go and simply plugs into a android micro USB port. It is mainly used to copy files to external storage such as a flash drive but also can be used for a LAN internet connection.

The Ethernet adapter will transmit the signals over the network. These items can be bought separately or in one package ready to go.
ravansranu009

Postby Certvalue123 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:47 am

hi. In ethernet on android is OTG stands for On-The-Go and simply plugs into an android micro USB port. It is mainly used to copy files to external storage such as a flash drive but also can be used for a LAN internet connection.
ISO 9001 Certification in Qatar
ISO 9001 Certification in Oman
Certvalue123

Return to Software - Android