Bad SD card geometry from new Dizzy release

Yocto related software discussions are here

Bad SD card geometry from new Dizzy release

Postby ClayMontgomery » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:11 pm

I have been using the Dora and Daisy releases of Yocto on my WandBoard Quad for awhile now with no problems. I use the dd command to create 8GB SD cards like this:

MACHINE=wandboard-quad
source setup-environment build
bitbake fsl-image-machine-test
sudo dd if=build/tmp/deploy/images/wandboard-quad/fsl-image-machine-test-wandboard-quad.sdcard of=/dev/sdd bs=1M

However, this does not seem to work with the new Dizzy release (1.7) of the fsl-community-bsp. The bitbake part seems to be fine. I did add a few things like cron and openssh. And the dd operation seems to be fine. But, when I try to mount the new SD card, Ubuntu (14.04) immediately complains that there is a problem with the geometry of the created SD card.
When I try to boot the SD card, I get a similar error message about bad geometry:

EXT3-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 6 not in group (block 0)!
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p2): error: group descriptors corrupted
EXT2-fs (mmcblk0p2): error: ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 6 not in group (block 0)!
EXT2-fs (mmcblk0p2): group descriptors corrupted
EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): bad geometry: block count 1680384 exceeds size of device (181248 blocks)
List of all partitions:
b300 7782400 mmcblk0 driver: mmcblk
b301 8192 mmcblk0p1 0009797c-01
b302 724992 mmcblk0p2 0009797c-02
No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 ext2 ext4 vfat fuseblk
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)
CPU3: stopping
CPU: 3 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/3 Not tainted 3.10.17-1.0.1-wandboard+ga6e7fc5 #1

I have tried this 6 times with different cards and they all failed in the same way. So I tried going back to the Daisy release and that works fine.
Can someone please shed some light on what could be causing this issue or how to work around it?

UPDATE:

I found a work-around is to simply run fsck on the created cards, after the dd operation. That corrects the problem so the cards will now boot Dizzy. But the Dizzy recipe should not be producing images with bad blocks in the first place.

Thanks, Clay
ClayMontgomery

Re: Bad SD card geometry from new Dizzy release

Postby modjo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Hello, i have the same problem with you about dizzy branch ! I didn't have a wandboard but a udoo quad and i observe the same result ! Dora branch work but not dizzy ! I'm trying to use fsck but it didn't work for me ! You said that you find a work arround about this problem, can you give us more information about this please ? (link ...)

Thank's in advance for your help.
modjo

Postby ClayMontgomery » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:01 pm

My work-around solution is to run fsck to repair the partition with the bad blocks. I do this using the same Ubuntu system I used to create the card:

sudo fsck /dev/sdd2

fsck reports the bad blocks and repairs them automatically. I am using the fsl-image-machine-test recipe, which is very small. So, I also use gparted to increase the size of the partition to use the full size of the card:

sudo gparted /dev/sdd

Of course, this is just a work-around. The proper solution would be to correct the bitbake recipe for Dizzy so that it does not cause the bad blocks in the first place.

Regards, Clay
ClayMontgomery

Postby ClayMontgomery » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:33 am

I have come to the conclusion that this bad geometry problem is actually caused by the fact that I am re-using sdcards with dd, and this is not a problem with the Yocto builds. Whenever I use dd to copy a new Dizzy or Fido sdcard image, I get cards with "bad geometry" problems that will not boot until I run fsck on them. But this problem does not occur when using brand-new sdcards. Has anyone else noticed this and can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks, Clay Montgomery
ClayMontgomery

Postby Rysler » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:27 pm

I have exactly the same problem you have.

Tried different options and none of them worked.

The only way I can write the images in a reliable way is by using Win32DiskImager.

After using that tool 100% of the time I get a correct sdcard.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Rysler
Rysler

Return to Software - Yocto