Ethernet (Freescale FEC PHY) driver error

Yocto related software discussions are here

Ethernet (Freescale FEC PHY) driver error

Postby JacobCC » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi guys,

I'm having issues with my Wandboard Quad. The ethernet interfaces keep changing its status between up and down!

Code: Select all
root@wandboard-quad:~# ip link set eth0 up 
fec 2188000.ethernet eth0: Freescale FEC PHY driver [Generic PHY] (mii_bus:phy_addr=2188000.ethernet:01, irq=-1)
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
root@wandboard-quad:~# libphy: 2188000.ethernet:01 - Link is Up - 1000/Full
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
libphy: 2188000.ethernet:01 - Link is Down
libphy: 2188000.ethernet:01 - Link is Up - 1000/Full

The image is Yocto 1.6.1 "core-image-x11". I had the same issues with the Yocto image available specifically for Wandboard (from the website).

Does any of you know what to do, or has some suggestions for me to try out?

Best,
Jacob
JacobCC

Re: Ethernet (Freescale FEC PHY) driver error

Postby JohnW » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:48 pm

I've never seen this or any other Ethernet error on Wandboard. It's one if the most problem free interfaces (for me at least).

Can you post the download link for the image you're using?

You could go through the standard Ethernet trouble shooting steps like making sure it's not your cable, your switch. The best thing to do would be to have another Wandboard to test with the same setup to make sure that it isn't just a broken board.
JohnW

Postby JacobCC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:17 am

The "core-image-base" and "core-image-minimal" still causes the ethernet up/down issue.
I've now tried the Ubuntu image from wandboard.org/downloads, and don't experience the same errors. But here the ethernet is extremely slow.

I checked the power supply for the, and was able to measure only 3.8V on the board's connector. The power supply is now changed, and I'm able to measure 5.2V, but that didn't resolve the problem.

This guy has a similar issue, but solves it by removing some udev rules from his Debian image.
http://boundarydevices.com/i-mx6-kernel ... ment-43727
JacobCC

Postby JacobCC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:26 am

JohnW wrote:You could go through the standard Ethernet trouble shooting steps like making sure it's not your cable, your switch. The best thing to do would be to have another Wandboard to test with the same setup to make sure that it isn't just a broken board.

Trying a different network cable and switch apparently solved the problem. Weird, because a lot of other devices are using the other switch, with the same cables.
JacobCC

Postby rfindley » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm seeing the same issue on my WB Quads (Rev C1).
Using the same cable, switch, and kernel -- and nearly same u-boot (no differences related to ethernet) -- I do NOT see the problem on a SabreSD board.

It seems to be a gigabit-speed problem, and is even easier to reproduce in u-boot, probably because u-boot doesn't handle errors in the same way as Linux. In u-boot, if I try to bootload my kernel and devicetree via TFTP, I get repeated errors and retries during the kernel transfer (5.5MB).

I'm guessing it is an issue of marginal signal quality. I've read about a different board with similar problems, where the solution was to tweak the passives around the magnetics. If I get a chance to troubleshoot this, I'll post any updates.
rfindley

Return to Software - Yocto