Can't boot 1.5 and 1.6 images built from sources

Yocto related software discussions are here

Can't boot 1.5 and 1.6 images built from sources

Postby stunpix » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Hello,

I'm running yocto 1.5 downloaded from wandboard.org on my devices and everything boots and works well, but when I build yocto 1.6 from sources and trying to boot it - it runs till middle of progress bar on "Yocto Project" splash screen and then the display turns off. I tried this with core-image-sato. With core-image-minimal I'm able to boot in to working terminal, but my target it X11 with desktop environment. Everything was done according to freescale readme on github. Build went without any errors.

Then I built 1.5 fsl-image-gui - it even doesn't show splash screen, but wandboard logo shown shortly, than black screen (actually display not turned off, just black screen). Seems images from wandboard.org are built in some other way? What I'm missing?

Thanks!
stunpix

Re: Can't boot 1.5 and 1.6 images built from sources

Postby Richard » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:38 am

Hello, stunpix:

Sorry for the late reply.
I test the image built from yocto wandboard recipes on wandboard quad (rev.B1, rev.C1).
The image seems to work well and can boot into yocto desktop.
I have uploaded this image:
https://mega.co.nz/#!91hTgTDA!ZhuZFNyx2 ... qL9NqKnoCs

To verify if this is kernel issue or something wrong in yocto rootfs.
Could you replace the rootfs with yocto 1.5 download from wandboard.org to the rootfs generated from yocto 1.5 building.
Code: Select all
sudo mount /dev/sdX /mnt/temp
sudo rm -rf /mnt/temp/*
sudo tar -C /mnt/temp -jxvf fsl-image-gui-wandboard-quad.tar.bz2 && sudo sync

Generally, it should be able to boot into desktop without problems.

For yocto QT5 pre-built image on wandboard download page, we replace kernel and u-boot.
For pre-built image on download page, the u-boot is SPL u-boot(this version is from u-boot mainline, not freescale).
The advantage for SPL u-boot is we can have just one image for different i.mx6 solo, duallite, quad CPU modules.
And kernel in yocto QT5 pre-built image is wandboard_imx_3.0.35_4.1.0 rather than wandboard_imx_3.0.35_4.0.0.

For wandboard quad rev.C1, the DDR chip is chaged from 38 nm to 29 nm.
To achieve the best performance, the DDR timing is already updated in wandboard SPL u-boot source code.
But, in yocto recipe, it still use the u-boot from freescale(u-boot-fslc), and the DDR timing is taken from nitrogen board(nitrogen6q2g.cfg).
For this part, the DDR timing needs to be update in yocto recipe repository.

Richard
Richard
Site Admin

Re: Can't boot 1.5 and 1.6 images built from sources

Postby JohnW » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:25 am

Richard wrote:Hello, stunpix:

Sorry for the late reply.
I test the image built from yocto wandboard recipes on wandboard quad (rev.B1, rev.C1).
The image seems to work well and can boot into yocto desktop.
I have uploaded this image:
https://mega.co.nz/#!91hTgTDA!ZhuZFNyx2 ... qL9NqKnoCs

Richard - can you please specify if you're building using a separate layer or are you using the default machines from the Freescale community BSP?

Richard wrote:
To verify if this is kernel issue or something wrong in yocto rootfs.
Could you replace the rootfs with yocto 1.5 download from wandboard.org to the rootfs generated from yocto 1.5 building.
Code: Select all
sudo mount /dev/sdX /mnt/temp
sudo rm -rf /mnt/temp/*
sudo tar -C /mnt/temp -jxvf fsl-image-gui-wandboard-quad.tar.bz2 && sudo sync

There could be a big problem with this if you're building using the fsl-community-bsp. The kernel modules will probably not match, nor will the other system-dependent libraries (imx-lib).

Richard wrote:Generally, it should be able to boot into desktop without problems.

For yocto QT5 pre-built image on wandboard download page, we replace kernel and u-boot.
For pre-built image on download page, the u-boot is SPL u-boot(this version is from u-boot mainline, not freescale).
The advantage for SPL u-boot is we can have just one image for different i.mx6 solo, duallite, quad CPU modules.
And kernel in yocto QT5 pre-built image is wandboard_imx_3.0.35_4.1.0 rather than wandboard_imx_3.0.35_4.0.0.

And the libraries in Dora may work with the kernel you replace (as long as you also replace the kernel modules in the filesystem) but Daisy will not (1.6) as it has migrated to 3.10.17.

Richard wrote:For wandboard quad rev.C1, the DDR chip is chaged from 38 nm to 29 nm.
To achieve the best performance, the DDR timing is already updated in wandboard SPL u-boot source code.
But, in yocto recipe, it still use the u-boot from freescale(u-boot-fslc), and the DDR timing is taken from nitrogen board(nitrogen6q2g.cfg).
For this part, the DDR timing needs to be update in yocto recipe repository.

Does the updated DDR timing work for all revs of Wandboard? Would it be possible for someone to submit a patch for this, or are you waiting for someone else to do it?
[
JohnW

Return to Software - Yocto