Procedure to add a new driver in Yocto

Yocto related software discussions are here

Procedure to add a new driver in Yocto

Postby Umamahesh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:23 am

Hi

I am trying to add a new driver in Yocto kernel( is it normal procedure updating Makefile and Kconfig), how to see if the driver is compiled?. Since I don't see the driver loaded when kernel is booted up.

Further I unzipped modules--4.1.15-r0-wandboard-20170922071459.tgz to see if the object is created but it is missing.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Umamahesh

Re: Procedure to add a new driver in Yocto

Postby ClayMontgomery » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 pm

What driver do you want?

The preferred way to do this is to edit the defconfig file to add what you want and include it into your own Yocto recipe layer.

If it's not already available, you might have to run menuconfig to generate a new defconfig:
bitbake -c menuconfig linux-fslc-imx

Look at the yocto product documents for instructions on creating a new layer.

Regards, Clay
ClayMontgomery

Postby Umamahesh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:06 am

Hi,

I am experimenting how to add test cases to ltp (Linux test project), for this I wrote a sample char driver and compile as built in along with kernel. But it is not listing when kernel got booted.

Also unable to track where the actual ltp packages get downloaded and I need the procedure to add a test case to test the char driver.

Please help on this.
Umamahesh

Postby Umamahesh » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi Clay,
As you suggested I followed the steps even in updating in defconfig. Still I don't see the driver being compiled.

Also I don't see the /lib/modules coming up in rootfs.

I am verifying if the driver is compiled by making some errors in sample driver and also without any modification I looked at modules.tar.gz in images folder.

Any other possibilities to make driver up.

Please suggest.
Umamahesh

Return to Software - Yocto