Wandboard Dual rev C1 W-fi problem (kernel 3.14.28)

Yocto related software discussions are here

Wandboard Dual rev C1 W-fi problem (kernel 3.14.28)

Postby sanityConf » Thu May 12, 2016 11:51 am

Greetings.
I am new to both the Wandboard and these forums.
I have no prior embedded Linux experience and am trying to get Wi-fi working with my Yocto build.

I am using the FSL community BSP Yocto 2.0 Jethro release:

http://freescale.github.io/#main-section

I can successfully build and use core-image-sato-sdk on the Wandboard Dual revision C1 board, but
the Wi-fi is not working.

The Wi-fi can work in general. I know it to work with the Arch Linux SD card image I got from the Wandboard download page:
http://www.wandboard.org/index.php/downloads

The kernel version that I get with my Yocto build is 3.14.28:

root@wandboard:~# uname -a
Linux wandboard 3.14.28_1.0.0_ga-wandboard+ge2df042 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 9 16:46:24 EEST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

I need to use Yocto for a task at hand because it requires customizing my own distribution so using any pre-built images just to have Wi-fi enabled is not acceptable.

I am aware that revision C1 boards have a different Wi-fi module (BCM4330) than A and B.
I have also browsed around a lot and it sometimes seems that the problem has something to do with the Device-tree Blob (DTB) generated by Yocto,
but I am not exactly sure what to do. Should I decompile it, modify it and recompile it? Should I configure my Yocto scripts to generate the DTB differently instead?

How can I build or configure my own Yocto-based distribution to enable Wi-fi for my board?

P.S. I have tried entering the Wandboard IRC channel and writing my questions there, but there seems to be absolutely no activity there. Is this normal or am I misunderstanding something?
Is it possible to get a direct response from the Wandboard developers here? That would be most useful.
sanityConf

Re: Wandboard Dual rev C1 W-fi problem (kernel 3.14.28)

Postby ClayMontgomery » Thu May 12, 2016 9:33 pm

I have not tried Jethro yet, but I use Wifi with Yocto 1.7.3.

All I had to do was set the SSID and password to match my Zoom router's wireless configuration:
wpa_passphrase SSID PASSWORD
ifup wlan0

If this does not work, use these commands to debug it:
ip link
ifconfig -a
iwconfig

The important configuration files to look at are:
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Regards, Clay
ClayMontgomery

Postby sanityConf » Fri May 13, 2016 7:27 am

Thank you for answering. I will try to build with an older version of Yocto,
though I do not understand why there should be a difference in terms of Wi-fi.

To ClayMontgomery:

1) Are you using a revision C1 board?
2) Did you use the Freescale Community BSP recipes to build or the Yocto project recipes?
As far as I understand, the Community BSP is always more up to date than the official Yocto release.
The official Yocto project release takes in changes from the Community BSP, though.
sanityConf

Postby ClayMontgomery » Fri May 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Jethro is a significant jump in kernel version from Dizzy (3.14 from 3.10), but even more important is that Dizzy has had more testing by more people since it has been available longer.

My Wandboard is rev B, but I think the difference with rev C is just in the support for bluetooth AP mode (and a better broadcom chip).

I build the official Yocto 1.7.3 release.

Regards, Clay
ClayMontgomery

Postby sanityConf » Tue May 31, 2016 4:39 am

Just wanted to post a quick confirmation note. I can verify that Yocto 1.7.3 builds a distro with a proper working Wi-fi driver for the revision C1 Wandboard dual board.
I am thankful for the helpful reply by ClayMontgomery. I think it would be proper to close this thread as the problem described in the thread subject has been resolved.
sanityConf

Return to Software - Yocto